I need to find someone so I can serve him with a restraining order...

So my best friend's boyfriend is insane (literally, he's schizophrenic). His parents and my friend's mom are all getting restraining orders on him, and I have the papers, and I have a pretty good idea on where he'll be.
Anyway, what happens if he won't take the papers? His mom put his car registration and tags with the papers so he'll want to take them, but what if he refuses? Do I take it to the sheriff or the cops, or do I take it to the court house?

SarahLeeMorgan

Asked by SarahLeeMorgan at 4:13 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• Sorry, the subject of the question is a little misleading; I know where he's staying and where he hangs out, I just need to know what happens if he won't take the papers.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 4:14 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Sheriff's office usually will send a deputy out to serve those kinds of papers, I think. If you're getting a restraining order, you're not going to want to be near him, after all.
    Anonymous

• Oh, and how about trying to get him into a mental institution? He can be involuntarily committed for at least a 72 hour period for supervision if his family believes he is a threat to himself or others. After 72 hours, they reevaluate things and see if he needs to stay longer or not. It could really help him.
    Anonymous

• He's been committed twice now, the cops have been called on him several times, and yes, my best friend is still with him. I'm not the one getting the restraining order, his parents and my best friend's mom are. Granted, I don't want to be around him, but I want the satisfaction of serving him the papers. Vindictive? Perhaps... :-p
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 5:08 PM on Jul. 21, 2009