My daughter is 3 and will not sleep by herself. How do I get her to want to sleep on her own?

Asked by Rouge08 at 4:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Some people may frown on this, but it worked for me...BRIBERY. I was having such a hard time getting my daughter to sleep in her bed as well. She begged me for this Dora bathtub doll, and it clicked. I told her if she was able to sleep in her bed for 5 nights, all by her self, we would get the Dora doll. It worked!!! I decided to up the ante because the night we got the doll, she tried sleeping in my bed. She wanted to spend a few nights at mom-moms (lives at the beach). So I told her she would have to sleep in her bed for 21 days (that's how many days it was until we were going to visit). My girl did it! No questions asked! And it only cost me the Dora doll. This has been sucessful for about 3 full months now. she still wants me to lay with her for a little bit, and I just love snuggling with her.
    I hope this helps!

Answer by beansmommy at 5:07 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• A routine helps. Reading, watching a short video, singing, cuddling, etc. Then put her to bed. Sometimes with my son I had to lay in his bed with him until he was asleep. My daughter's easier for some reason.

I did find with both of them that I had to "lock" them in their room as a toddler. I put one of those child safety locks on the handle inside the room. It was the only way to keep them in their room (don't have to do this with my son anymore).

Answer by amethystrse at 5:23 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Maybe try to lay in her bed with her until she falls asleep.

Answer by 3krazekydz at 5:51 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Start by staying in her room with her at night until she falls asleep. That was she falls asleep in her bed. If she wakes up in the middle of the night, go back into her bed with her. It will be uncomfortable for you for awhile, but eventually she will fall asleep on her own in her room.

Also try rewarding her. Make a star chart with stickers. Every time she sleeps the night in her bed she gets to put a star sticker up on the chart. When she gets a certain number of stars she gets a treat. I don't think it's bribery, its rewarding for good behavior.

Answer by Ryanswife06 at 1:17 AM on Jun. 23, 2008

• My daughter RARELY ever slept in the bed with me so I don't have too much trouble with that with her (3). But when she was 2 she began throwing fits in her bed when I would put her down, or she would just be in bed singing and talking to herself. With the crying and screaming I would simply say "You ARE staying in bed. You are NOT getting out. It is bedtime GOODNIGHT!" After a couple nights of that she stopped. Don't give ANY leway. Be firm, and stay consistant. That's all you gotta do.

Answer by anaebanae at 12:00 AM on Jun. 25, 2008