can u have an elective induction?

I am due december 20th and this is my second,
my son was a week late and they induced me. i am wondering since if i am late i will either be induced on xmas or 2 days later (dont want to miss my sons christmas and i dont want to be in the hospital either) so i am wondering can u be induced on your due date? that way me and the new baby could be home for christmas with my son and my parents, has anyone had this done?

bradynsmom222

Asked by bradynsmom222 at 4:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• my due date was christmas day and my doctor and i decided i would get induce on december 18. it all depends on your doctor. he didnt want to work on christmas. just ask. but it also has to depend on the weight i guess if the baby to small he probly wont. my son weigh 8 lb 1 oz.
    adoradamia

Answer by adoradamia at 4:24 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Maybe you would be home for Christmas......barring no complications...like c-section, baby needing NICU.
    I personally would wait.
    Many docs won't do it
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:24 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• i knew someone that asked for induce and doctor did
    she wanted the baby before Jan 1st for tax write off

true story

it takes all kinds
    Anonymous

• anon 4:26...that is really sad.
    Anonymous

• It depends on your doctor. The only way to know if your doctor will do it is to ask him/her. But the only way to know for sure that your baby is ready to be born is to let him/her come on his/her own time.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:43 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• yes, some dr's will. Just ask.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 4:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My son was due on January 11th. I was induced on December 30th. I asked my doctor. I was miserable and I told her I was ready. She made me wait until it was safe and then we did it. You just need to ask your doctor.
    JanaCamp

Answer by JanaCamp at 8:21 PM on Jul. 21, 2009