Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone have info on housing accomodations for getting a dog for a child with adhd/odd/anxiety?

My son has adhd/odd/anxiety/depression and has desperatly wanted a dog. We would like to get him one but our student housing doesn't allow pets. I have read numerous articles on how a pet can be beneficial. But wanted to know that since my child has special needs would the student housing allow it and how/where can i get documentation etc for the accomodation.

Answer Question

Asked by hholllyy426 at 4:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • I will star with a veterinarians office. A vet can probably tell you characteristics of breeds that may be suitable for your son's needs. I read somewhere that geman Shepperds are good dogs for kids but they grow big, so it may not be a good idea. Also I remember taht Chihuahua's are not good dogs for children because they are way to territorial and very intelligent animals who spite their little bodies can do a lot of harm. So, check with a vet and see what his opinion is. Best luck and remember that having a pet is a huge commitment from potty training to time for walking them out so they get the exercise they need, I mention this so that you know on top of your chill's need, then there comes the dog's needs too. In a different category of course but nonetheless it translates in more work for you. Good luck I hope this helps and I hope your son improves.

    Answer by bebita at 4:25 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

  • It would have to be a service dog for it to be allowed in your building.

    A vet isn't going to help. You have to go through medical channels and have documentation that your child needs a service dog. Then, find and buy one. You have to present the documentation to your landlord.

    They have to (by law) provide reasonable allowances for those with disabilities. Do some reading about the American's with Disabilities Act!

    We had to be let out of our lease with no penalties because my husband's disability no longer allows him to do stairs and the landlord had no proper housing on one floor for a family of 5.

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

  • Do they allow service animals and is there any way this dog could be classified that way? It is possible that you won't be able to do it in student housing.....See under what conditions an animal would be allowed. Are they specific to the types of disabilities that would qualify? For example, a seeing eye dog, or a service animal for a person in a wheelchair. Those are pretty specific....

    Answer by BJoan at 8:20 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

  • I don't know if your son would qualify for a service dog, but that would be the only way to make the school allow you to have one.

    Answer by Petie at 9:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

  • Check out the NEADS website. You can apply for a specially trained dog that works with special needs kiddos. It also comes with documentation and a vest so that you can take it anywhere in public, including restaurants. I'd bet the student housing authority has provisions for this kind of situation and would allow you to have the dog due to your circumstance.

    Answer by kenzie07 at 10:10 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

  • Thank you all for your wonderful answers and information. I know there is a woman with bipolar disorder that lives in the area. I am going to see what I can do. Thank you all. More leads would be wonderful.

    Answer by hholllyy426 at 12:57 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.