What do you wish you knew about parenting a teenager before you had one?

My oldest daughter will be 13 (a teenager!) tomorrow, and I'm feeling a little anxious. This is one of those milestones that I didn't realize would make me feel this way. I know she won't be a different person tomorrow, but she will be changing and going through a lot in the next few years. Do you have any good advice for a soon to be mother of a teenager?

Thanks!

TweenAndTwinMom

Asked by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:28 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• The only advise I have is to choose your battles and let her make some decisions on her own and make her own mistakes if need be. I made the mistake of being too overbearing and we had a few tough years. Now that I have chosen to choose my battles and let my now 15 yr old make some decisions good or bad, he now can learn from those decisions even if they are wrong ones and we are sailing somewhat smoothly. Although I do understand as the mom above said " I KNOW NOTHING" and he knows everything. Good Luck you will do great.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 4:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Hold on tight and trust she thinks you know nothing and she knows it all. Just be there for her no matter what it maybe. not matter what she saids she loves you and your a great mommy.
    Anonymous

• Thanks!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2009