Do you support PETA or HSUS(humane Society)?

I am wondering because they say they are for such a great cause but me being in the dogworld so much (shows,dog laws,) I was just wondering how many ppl that are not in the mix view them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Pets

• Neither. I support Concern For Animals and Animal Services. That said, your local humane society has nothing to do with HSUS. The president of the HSUS used to work for PETA and has been known to say some very anti-pet sentiments. He doesnt like dogs. If you watched the puppy mill episode of Oprah you will see NO emotion from him and he didnt even touch any of the dogs that came on stage. Also if you watch the Detriot version of Animal Cops, you will see how many dogs they kill. Even if they seize a puppy pitbull that they KNOW was never used for fighting, they will put it down. All pitbulls get destroyed. So no, I dont support the humane society. Plus they charge way too much to adopt a pet.
    HSUS took a ton of donations and money to help take care of Michael Vick's fighting dogs when they never even had custody of them!
    http://www.dogpolitics.com/my_weblog/2007/08/hsus-wayne-pace.html
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:24 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I think the Humane Society is a good organization but Peta is nuts.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 4:37 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I think PETA sometimes goes to extremes, but overall, I too am for the ethical treatment of animals, so I agree with their values. As for the humane society, I support any no-kill animal shelters. I can't help but cry every time I leave an animal shelter thinking of all of the animals without homes. If I had a ton of money to give to charities, animals would receive a large portion of it.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 4:37 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• PETA no, but Humane societies, yes. PETA to me goes way to far, not to mention I heard something about their facility in North Carolina or someplace like that. They had euthenized thousands of dogs after taking them in saying they wouldn't. So yeah, I have issues with that. Humane societies have my support though. I know they euthenize but they don't lie about it.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 4:38 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• PETA is full of crap. I live in NC and know some cruddy things that have happened around this area and the Virgina Beach area head quarters. Humane society is humane and a very worthwhile foundation to support.

lucysmomrocks

Answer by lucysmomrocks at 4:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• i have to the aspca but i think just once as i rarely have money to donate but i need and now they hound me every so months wanting more.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• PETA is nuts! They want to use breastmilk instead of cowmilk for ice cream. HSUS is just as crazy though, they say they are no kill, but I know ppl who had their dogs seized and these are well cared for dogs, and they died in transport because they basically baked in the transport process and there was not only one incident. Not only that HSUS backs PETA, both of their goals is for there to no longer be pets
    Anonymous

• peta is a bunch of loonies but I am strong supporter of teh humane association I volunteer when I can and we give all our pop cans to their bins to recycle for cash around christmas we donate food and blankets as well
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 4:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• PETA is nuts. Have you seen the Sea Kitten campaign? I live in Washington and down at Pike Place they throw fish. The fish are dead when they throw them but they had PETA jumping all over them for treating fish inhumanely by throwing them. They are dead already!! I'm not a huge fan of the Humane Society but I do support their effort. I prefer the no-kill shelters.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 5:11 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I do support and have helped raise funds for the HSUS. I helped (with others) raise $3,000.00 for a small local HSUS shelter in Lawrence, KS.

I think PETA has some great ideas, but has unfortunately let the extremely vocal and extremist minority control their actions. I think some of the things PETA does are not fully considered before they take action, and the lack of forethought and borderline terrorism in which some of their members engage disturbs me. As such, I will not donate to them.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:20 PM on Jul. 21, 2009