should i tell the sellers?

i had posted how our puppy had died of liquid detergent when it fell off the washer and she ingested it. we are heart broken and feel really bad about it. all in all i try to tell myself it was an accident. we have debated on if we should or shouldn't get another one. also is it to soon...etc. my husband said we should tell the sellers and i thought at the time No that they wouldn't let us get another one. thing is i'm thinking maybe we should. i try not to lie and if they asked about the other one i wouldn't want to say she is fine although that is somewhat true.

do you think i should tell them?...i kinda wonder whats the point. would you want to know? if so should i email them or tell them in person?

i had hastly emailed and ask them to inform us of when they had another litter of pups that looked like our penny. they just called us on sunday. we haven't gone for fear of crying in their presence.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Pets

• first off if they ask tell but if they dont its not necessary second off take time to greive the loss of your beloved puppy try as we may each oet who comes in to our lives leaves a different set of paw prints on our hearts pawprints that no other fuzzy creature can fill or continue. When your family's heart is ready for a new trail of paw prints get another puppy but until then just wait it out and try to think of how you can better puppy proof your house (It's actually HARDER Than babyproofing) and when you get your puppy the best thing to do with her when you cant watch her like a hawk is to put her in her crate with a bone and a blankie and honestly do that until they are a year old. You wouldnt dream of leaving your 6 month old unattended never do the same with a puppy under a year and for some dogs 2 years
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 4:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I don't know but we are in a similar situation. We got a puppy a few years ago and one of my kids accidently let him out. He ended up getting hit by a car and now we are ready to get another one. We didn't tell the sellers. We would have to drive quite a ways away if we choose a different breeder. Good luck with whatever decision you make.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 4:47 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• i'd be honest if they wanted to know. i don't think you did anything wrong, and i doubt they'll refuse to sell you a puppy because of this tragedy. they might even sympathize and give you a deal.
    Anonymous

• I'm so sorry. The only reason I would tell them is if they ask. It's not really their concern. If and when you go to get another puppy from the same people they will probably ask how the other puppy is doing then I would tell them that she passed away. Your under no obligation to tell them when or how. If you choose not to get another puppy from them, or never have a reason to speak with the sellers again, I don't see why they need to be informed.
    jenlenr

Answer by jenlenr at 4:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I agree with katiekrushchke and jenlenr. Tell them only if they ask, but tell the truth b/c you did nothing wrong, excpet not knowing...and we all go through that. I have two little weiner dogs, and they do require more house-proofing than my infant/toddler did! And my vet knows, from experience, i will do & pay anything to keep my dogs safe, healthy & happy. But accidents happen. I've learned so much having my two little dogs, and i love them soooo much. If you fell you're ready for a new puppy, then do it. If you ever want some puppy proofing ideas, just email me, i won't judge, but i'd be more than happy to help out another person. Beleive me, there are things i wish people knew to tell me, lol. My dogs are healthy, happy, and after i tuck my son in, the i can't wait to cuddle with them and the hubby:)
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 5:06 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Any breeder worth their salt will keep in touch with the persons they sell to to see how their puppies are living. Yes you should tell the breeder what happened. And explain to them how you are going to puppy proof your home so it never happens again. Whether they want to sell to you after that is their choice. But you owe them the truth.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 5:07 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• actually, you did nothing wrong at all. Sorry, went back and read question again. You can't help the detergent falling. It wasn't even a matter of not knowing about the detergent. Puppies are curious too!
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 5:07 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• You need to tell them. Most breeders who are good, think of every puppy they sell as a part of their family that they are sending to a home. They deserve to know. Explain what happened, it was an accident and one that could happen to anybody, if they choose to sell to you again, so be it, but it would be wrong to "forget" to tell them just to get another one of their dogs.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 8:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• well we brought the dogs in every night like we do cause we live in az and it's hot. in fact we have them in all day. i had a heavy load and on the rinse cycle it must of fallen over and busted open. in the morning she was real bad. we rushed to vet but it was too late. she died a few hours later.
    Anonymous

• I agree with salemwitchchild... I have a good relationship with the breeder I got my Boxer from and I cannot imagine withholding the truth from them like that. They would be just as devastated as I to hear of his death. It was an accident that you obviously are not going to let happen again, and it would be up to them to decide on whether or not to give you another pup, but i would be honest.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:34 AM on Jul. 22, 2009