Why is my 1 yr old throwing temper tantrums....

So my little man turned 1 just 3 days ago and he has overnight gone from sweet lovey baby to being headstrong and independant. when he wants something he starts yelling and if i don't catch on to what it is that he needs or wants he hits. where he's learned that i will never know because we don't spank our older children and when the older two get into arguments they never fight physically. It's bizaare how in just these three days he has changed so much he walks everywhere now and yells and hits. My sanity is waning.

jenniamigo

Asked by jenniamigo at 4:44 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My little likes to hit too sometimes. Its a phase. Just take the child from the situation "time out" and tell them no, if they hit you hold there hand and tell them NO, if it continues put them in thier crib and let them throw it in there. Did not spend to much time on them when they throw fits. If comunication is the problem you could always try baby sign, my daughter now knows a few words and a few signs so it helps.
    kellylsmith141

Answer by kellylsmith141 at 4:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• is he too old for baby signs? i thought you had to start at 5 months?
    jenniamigo

Answer by jenniamigo at 4:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• HAHA.. My son started this too at 1 yr...well, technically it was 7 months but the hitting he started at 1 and the throwing himself on the floor crying and hitting - the way I explained it to my husband is like this - we know when we are mad or frustrated about something, we can feel it through our whole body, expect with age and learning, we deal with it better -they are JUST learning this feeling, so they too feel it through thier whole body, they just don't know what to do with it -my son hits himself- some kids hit others, some kids bite etc - we just now have to direct them and teach them how to handle anger and frustration. Its kinda funny seeing these little people with REAL emotions - !! lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• A mental process has matured. And yes, it can happen overnight.

No, he's not too old for baby signs. My daughter showed no interest until about 11 months. Then she started trying to sign. The "My Baby Can Talk" DVD series was great.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Baby signs really helps with communication and helps them learn their words better. ( Only my opinion).
    kellylsmith141

Answer by kellylsmith141 at 4:02 PM on Aug. 6, 2009