Is it stupid to buy paint for my kid's rooms if I can't afford it and I have to purchase it on my creditcard?

I want to "refresh" the rooms and make them more comfortable and inviting. Especially before school starts. I would like to make their rooms feel like a room a teen wants to go into to do their homework and relax. Or should I just wait till I can afford it, which probably won't be till income tax time (April)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• Just wait for it. Why put yourself into more debt with something that's not necessary?
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 4:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• you answered your own question. You CANT afford it. Don't get into the habit of spending what you don't have. Look at the economy. Wait until you can afford it. Paint and decorations aren't what make your children feel loved. (don't get me wrong, I love to decorate, but do it when you can afford it) For now, just try rearranging and switching things from other rooms and things that you may have stored away.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 4:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• You can always rearrange the furniture for a new look. I do not buy with credit cards. If I don't have the money, it waits until I get it. And paint doesn't have to be expensive so save a few dollars here and there and you can probably have it by Thanksgiving break.
    Necie11

Answer by Necie11 at 4:54 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• You can check the "Goofed" paints.
    Theyll have a section where the tint didnt match with what the people wanted and they sell them for about 1/2 price.
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 4:54 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• OMG, there's so much you can do w/o spending lots of money! First, yeah, it's stupid to put yourself into more debt over something you just want. Tax time isn't THAT far away...I know, I wait for that time of year ALL year, LOL! Anyways, u can do all sorts of things to jazz up ur teens room, especially if it's a girl! Look up DIY (do it yourself) teen bedroom projects on google. Or search cheap and easy teen room decor. Or just wait till you get your money so that you can get all sorts of things that match! No need to use that credit card!
    Elizabeth1015

Answer by Elizabeth1015 at 4:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• OMG... Go to Lowes and look at the mistint section. You can get a gallon for $5 and they can tint it to a more suitable color. If it is important to you then DO IT!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:13 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• yes
    Anonymous

• Obviously you know it is. Somethimes things just have to wait when you are trying to get out of debt or just don't make enough money.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:10 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• If I can't afford it I won't buy it.Why charge it on the credit card.I usually buy everything cash.I agree with itsmesteph sometimes you have to wait until you can afford it.For example.I always have a cash reserve and have cash at home in case of emergency.
    Anonymous

• No, it isn't financially smart. If you cannot afford it and put it on your credit card, then you will end up paying for it anyway PLUS interest and finance charges.
    You can check freecycle for any paint giveaways or just wash down the walls to refresh the color until you can afford paint.
    Paint is not an essential item in life and I'm sure your teens understand that.
    Take care.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:38 AM on Jul. 22, 2009