Paying for a Pregnancy

Does anybody have any creative ways that they have paid for a pregnancy? Specifically labor and delivery?

My husband and I are both self employed and do not have great health insurance :( Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• This isnt that creative but I used my tax return to pay off all of the Doctors. (We paid ahead to the OB Dr. so he was paid off before delivery.) We ended up paying about 8000.00 out of pocket total.
    but being self employed, your tax return probably isnt all that great either.
    Check with your hospital to see if they have a program to help you pay. Most do, our hospital required that you apply and are denied for medicaid first so we didnt go that route but it may work for you!
    Good Luck, babies are so expensive even before they get here! LOL.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 5:14 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Yeah, I got medicade lol
    Anonymous

• If you can not get medicade, then call both your doctor and the hospital to see if they have a payment plan. My doctor's bill including delivery would have bee $2,500. However, they knock off $500 if the bill was paid in full by week 38. They allowed for payment plans. Thankfully I was able to get on medicade and they paid for the baby (DH had gotten laid-off from work when I was 3 months pregnant.). My c-section hospital bill would have been $10,000; I don't know if they had a payment plan option, but that would have been the only way they would have gotten any money from me since I don't have $10,000 just hanging out in the bank. LOL! Good luck to you and God bless your pregnancy!
    Allegra360

Answer by Allegra360 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• medicaid- and most hospitals have low income discounts and payment plans
    Anonymous

• Medicaid. When I got pregnant I didn't have medical insurance and asked the doctor if I could make payments to pay that off. He said, NO, you would have to put down a $5000 deposit before he would even see me (that was the hospital policy for Aurora). He handed me an app for medicaid and they paid for everything. You would be surprised how much you can make and still qulaify for coverage, especially being pregnant.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:23 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Medicaid if you qualify, you may not depending on your income. If that doesn't work give Procard a look!

You get a discount and then after that you can still ask the hospital or Dr. performing the service to make a payment plan for the rest.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 7:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I forgot to mention,if you have insurance depending on the provider you can still get an additional 10-60% off your portion of the bill.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 7:43 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Hello! I might be able to help you save money. I sell discount health and dental plans. These are not insurance, these are discount plans that people use instead of insurance or as a supplement to the insurance they already have. I use mine and have gotten great savings from it. We have a Total Health Package which include Dental, Vision, Pharmacy, Chiropractic, Primary Care, Specialty Care, Ancillary Services, and Hospital Advocacy. It cost $39.95 monthly which covers your whole household. With a one-time $30 registration fee. If you would like to hear about our other packages, just drop me a message and I will send them to you. Also, if you would like to make an income on the side to cover your pregnancy expenses, I can also help you with that!
    Reaching100K

Answer by Reaching100K at 10:23 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• You can enroll into Ameriplans Health plan for ONLY $39.95 a month. We have a 30 day money back promise so you can stop it after if you'd like. It covers pregnancy as well as Dr visits, Prescription(prenatal Vitamins) Chiropractic, dental and vision as well and your whole house can use it at that price.
    EVEN Target Accpets our plan at their Pharmacy!!!!! Sorry that really stood out to me when I was looking LOL, I'm a Target fan!!
    It isn't insurance so it isn';t going to cover the whole cost but it sure beats paying retail!!!! Let me know if I can help. I to am pregnant so I understand the cost you are talking about right now :)
    www.MyBenefitsPlus.com/ChristinaDennis 770-728-9938
    Good luck with both girlie and God Bless!!!
    ChristinaDennis

Answer by ChristinaDennis at 6:55 AM on Jul. 22, 2009