Do i have to see a dentist??

My jaw hurts soooooo bad, it's not my teeth, it's my jaw. Do I need to go to a dentist or do you think my regular doctor can help me out? I have insurance but dental isn't covered. I'd rather see him BUT I dont want to waste $30 to see my regular doc if there is nothing he can do!

(im not asking for a diagnosis just a little advice)

AMsMommy212

Asked by AMsMommy212 at 5:02 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Health

• Try your doctor first. If there is an infection, they might be able to help. But I have jaw pain and had to have my dentist make this guard that I wear at night to keep from grinding my teeth.

Answer by Bmat at 5:06 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Have your wisdom teeth already some in? If not they might be starting to, and if it is theres not a lot they can do about that. Try taking some OTC pain reliever first and see if that helps any
    Cherrie522

Answer by Cherrie522 at 5:06 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My jaw goes nuts if my blood pressure is up.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 5:07 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I'd go to the Dr. but there is no gaurantee he won't recomend a dentist. It could be any number of things.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:28 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• It could be your wisdom teeth need to be taken out, if you have them. You could have an infection in your gums. I would go to the dentist and see if the wisdom teeth are the problem.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:04 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• do you have tmj? like chomp your teeth in your sleep? my dh does that and dentist gives him vallium to take before bed and that works for him. also your jaw could be "out of line" that happened to mil after a small car accident. i would go to the doc if it hurts really bad and get an xray to see why it is happening. good luck?
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Thanks.. I think Ill check with my regular doc first and see what he says.. it's been an on and off pain for about 3 weeks.. Ill go a couple days with no pain then it'll come back, I can't figure out what might be triggering it!! But I'm pain free so far today!! yay
    AMsMommy212

Answer by AMsMommy212 at 9:43 AM on Jul. 22, 2009