My 3 month old is backed up after switching to formula how do I help her?

Sarah_C409

Asked by Sarah_C409 at 5:24 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 2 month old had the same problem. I gave him an ounce of warm water twice during the day and that helped clear him out a bit.
    bootsky

Answer by bootsky at 5:33 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Thats pretty common when you switch. I would say if she doesnt go by day 3 then call a dr. But when that happened to my 3 kids, we just waited it out and sure and behold it came on day 3. You can also try putting lube on a thermometer and insert it into the anus.....But I personally waited until I HAD to do that! LOL
    terrabiglieri

Answer by terrabiglieri at 5:36 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• breastmilk
    Anonymous

• i struggled with that problem myself with my 2 month old. use prune juice mixed with her formula. But don't over do it. so My son still takes a 4 ounce bottle so i put 3 teaspoons of prune juice with his fomula. i wouldn't exceed an ounce in a day, somethings can take time to work so if she doesn't have a bm that day i'm sure she will have one the folling morning. if she is really in a lot of pain give her a warm bath to ease the discomfort. I did use the prune juice myself, i was skeptical at first, He didn't have a bm that day but he did have one the next morning.but over time their tummys will adjust to the new stuff and you shouldn't have anymore problems. If she is still having problem after two weeks, consult her doc, you might have to switch again. I'm on my third one. it's enfamial lacto free. so far so good. see not only did he have bm problems but he was spitting up alot and super fussy after he ate.
    Ali262

Answer by Ali262 at 6:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I had that problem with Gabe a while back when I switched him back to his normal simlac formula & my hubby and I gave him some Apple Jucie and it worked for him. But his nurse at the Dr.s office said for a constpatied baby give them 1 tea sp of Dark Karo surup once in their morning bottle and once in their bed time bottle for a few days and see if that helps any.
    Gabesmommy782

Answer by Gabesmommy782 at 8:38 PM on Jul. 22, 2009