What would you do if your child only liked to eat bread, and potatoes, and chicken nuggets???

Any suggestions??? She is very picky --- She is 4.

Jennifer43245

Asked by Jennifer43245 at 5:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Health

• Children won't starve. Picky or not she will eventually eat whatever you put on her plate. My son was like this at 2. Put the plate of food in front of her and if she doesn't eat then she can get down once everyone has finished eating. Put her plate in the fridge and serve it to her at the next meal.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 5:33 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• If it wasn't for the bread I would think you are talking about my ds. He's 4 and slowly growing out of his picky phase but it used to be he would only eat sandwhiches, hot dogs, and chicken nuggests. He would also eat any form of potato. We would just make sure what we gave him was as healthy as it could be. I agree with the pp. If she's hungry she will eat it.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 6:09 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Keep offereing different kinds of food and make 1 thing you know she will eat. Have her take 2 bites of everything before she can eat her favorite food. I do NOT believe in not feeding a child, I know kids that would starve before they are something they didn't like or want. Think about how you would feel if you were made to eat foods that you don't like. I would starve before I ate foods that I truly don't like and so will my son. I am not saying to make separate meals but to make one food that you know the child will eat. You can hide cauliflower in mashed potatoes. Just boil the cauliflower and mash with the potatoes.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:02 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• If it were my child, I would stop having those foods in the house. You created this monster, now you need to make it go away. No more white bread, only whole grain. No more white potatoes, only sweet potatoes. No fried nuggies, only baked. Kids love to dip! Cut up fruit in yogurt or fruit sauce; raw veggies in hummus or salad dressing; steamed veggies & whole wheat pasta in marinara or cheese or peanut sauce. Kids love to cook; go to the library and check out one or two children's cookbooks. My favorite is Pretend Soup. There is also a fun kids cooking website: www.spatulatta.com. Take your child to the grocery store, let her pick our a new fruit or veggie to introduce to the family. Most important, the grownups need to set a great example!! The rule at our house is you try 3 bites of dinner, if you don't like it you get (yourself) toast with peanut butter & honey with an apple. I have many tasty healthy recipes!

Answer by rkoloms at 10:26 PM on Jul. 21, 2009