My 9 mth old only wants to breastfeed,she refuses to eat any other way.Is this common?

kristy615

Asked by kristy615 at 5:47 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, and as long as she's gaining, and having the right amount of diapers, it is fine to let her just nurse.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• At 9 months she should be eating other thing than breastmilk only. IMO. Is she eating solids at all? Did you talk to your doctor about this? I don't really have any recommendations on how to start cereal if she is not eating that yet. I guess I would try taking it slow with very thin cereal in the beginning and gradually making it thicker, or start out with some steamed, pureed fruits.
    If the problem is just her not wanting to drink formula, then as long as you have enough breastmilk for her, then she should be fine. But if the problem is about food, then I would definitely start her on something.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 6:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• BF babies can nutritionally go til 12 months with little to no other foods as long as she is gaining, growing and meeting milestones, have babies iron checked if you worry about that, but I bet shes fine.

SHe may just not be ready for solids. Keep offering but don't bother with cereals, offer mushed up whatever you are eatting...buy a sweet potato and mush it it, an avacado, or a banana, they are great first foods. Also try the gerber puffs for her to pick up, great for hand eye coordination and they dissolve so no worrying about choking.

She'll get there...any other BFing questions just ask the Breastfeeding Moms group...gdiamante and the other ladies there are GREAT
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• thanks,She did start on solids at 6 mths I started her with acocado then sweet peas she ate all the veggies & fruits until 8 mths she didnt want the 3rd foods.She went on strike & I tried everything even yobaby,pasta,mashed banana & yougurt melts & gerber puffs,scramble yolk.she gagged on that or I had to pry her mouth with the spoon.She is a healthy hieght & weight & she has never been sick.I plan on asking her dr but she doesnt go to aug 1st & I was curious if other moms experienced this so I didnt have to take her sooner.or what you may have tried if you did experience it or if it lasted long.Thanks again
    kristy615

Answer by kristy615 at 10:15 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• It is fine. My 19 month old even has days where he doesn't want to eat and just nurses all day. I am fine with it since he is nursing and getting what he needs from that.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 12:56 PM on Jul. 22, 2009