Do we need to talk about natural disasters to our kids?

the State Emergency Management Office declares;
"Select two places to meet: a spot outside your home for an emergency, and a place away from your neighborhood in case you cannot return home (a real possibility during the day when most adults are at work and children are at school)."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• I didnt think we did, but that seems to be a very good idea just in case! Its ALWAYS good to have a plan even if it is seldom used!

Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 5:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Yes we all should have this talk when they are old enough to understand it. I talked with me 4yr old about it ( the meeting outside). But thanx for this, I should refresh and the idea. Away from home is a good one i never thought of, though she's young for that, its good to keep in mind for the future.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 5:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Yes, you should. Daycares and preschools do tornado drills in my area. I am sure daycares where hurricanes are common have hurricane drills. Wouldn't you want your children to know what to do in case of tornado, hurricane, etc? I remember is elementary school talking about what we would do if the nuclear powerplant that was 10 minutes away exploded or had a leak. It needs to be done just like what to do if there is a fire in your home. Safety is always first.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:14 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Yes you should always have an emergency plan. Once your kids are 4 or 5 they can understand.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:37 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• it never hurts to have a plan

Answer by admckenzie at 7:11 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• We haven't talked to our children about it, but my husband and I have distinct roles and a plan in place should a natural disaster or terrorist attack should occur near us. We expect we wouldn't be able to reach each other by phone, so we are to take care of our respective roles, gather up our things or hunker down and drive to one of 3 preplanned locations (depending on where the incident occurred). We even have "alternate routes" mapped out, as we anticipate major highways would be clogged with people trying to evacuate.

If you live in a large city or an area prone to natural disasters this should be a given. Schools have emergency plans, and so should every family.

Hopefully, we'll never need to use any of our plans, but we're ready for anything....hopefully! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:15 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• yes, especially if you are in area prone to them. Where we live, a severe Thunderstorm warning is cause for concern (at least for me) and my kids have known for a while what to do if I tell them to go downstairs. You never know and if they are prepared, they are less likely to panic and do the opposite of what you want or need them to do.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 8:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2009