How do you feel about other people bringing negative energy into your life?

When you are having a good day and everything is running smoothly, someone comes along with their problems, complaining about everything under the sun. How do you react?

Asked by misfitmom49 at 4:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2008 in Relationships

• I would just say, "oh, I'm sorry." Then change the subject to "do you want to go get an ice cream?" or something like that. Remember, you have been that person at a time or another. We all have. So, sympathize with them, then get them to move on from it. That way, it's just a slight detour! Hope it helps!

Answer by NomadSara at 4:56 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Well personally I am typically happy to listen. If a friend is close enough to me to share his/her problems with me then I really consider it an honor. However, if it's a friend who always does this and never has anything good to say then I would sit down and talk to them about it. Communication is key in ANY relationship.

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 5:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Everyone has bad days, bad times. I am available to listen, sympathize and encourage once in awhile. If the person is often negative and isn't going to take suggestions for solving her problem or she doesn't have a plan for change, I limit my time with her. By nature and my upbringing, I have learned that the glass is half full. It's a tough mindset to break and I easily fall back into it. For my own mental health, I will limit my time and if asked point blank what is going on, I am honest and say what I have told you above. I love learning and growing with other women, even when they are troubled but I don't go to pity parties.

Answer by manna1qd at 5:08 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• It depends on who the person is. If its a random person that you can just get around, listen and move on. If its a key player that is around you all the time you need to analize the situation. Sometimes its better to walk out of the negative til the situation can turn.

Answer by Masonsmom407 at 5:13 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• This is probably me that you are talking about! LOL  I am pretty negative somedays! But...don't we all have bad days. I guess we just need to be a little patient with this sad sam person. If they need a shoulder to cry on once in a while, give it to them. Then try to share a joke or a little bit of sunshine with them. It feels good to brighten someones day. Now if you are talking about a chronic whiner...that is another thing entirely. These people will only continue their whining if you listen. My mom used to say, "Ignore it, maybe it will go away". You don't have to be rude..just be really busy!!! Too busy to chat. good luck!

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 5:14 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• If you are on the phone, then just hang up. Sometimes you just have to be straight forward and ask, " do you ever have a good day?" or say, "OMG this is going to put me in a bad mood and I've been doing so good." I even avoid the person at times. I have a friens who only called when she had bad days. I don't even talk to her anymore. There's no reason for both of us to be in a bad mood.

Answer by Queentdi at 11:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• Try to listen and remind yourself that your day is going good. Maybe you could even help them out, and that would put you in an even happier mood. Otherwise, I'd try look on the bright side of their negativity. Like if they say something along the lines of not being able to do something then maybe help them do it if you can or tell them to take a brake. Or if they are complaining about a family member, just let them complain. Usually people feel better after they vent a little bit. All I do is keep reminding myself that this isn't you and everything could be worse.

Answer by jvann1 at 1:56 AM on Jun. 24, 2008