how to stop breast feeding my 9 month old baby to sleep

My 9 month old baby only falls asleep while breastfeeding. We have tried many technique-rocking, using a passifiar, even letting her cry herself to sleep. But nothing works. She is too content with being in my arms and sucking in order to go to sleep for the night. On the positive side, she sleeps till about 11Am every morning. But doesnt go to sleep most nights until midnight. When she was born up until 7 months old, we lived in a studio forcing my baby to constantly having me and my husband visable. So we got into the habit of breastfeeding her to sleep. Now that we have more room, we would like to get her used to falling asleep on her own. BUT she refuses to. How do I get my baby in the habit of falling asleep without me breastfeeding and, even better, us not being in the room. Its a strain on us because we have no night to ourselves. What techniques are recommended?

maddy701

Asked by maddy701 at 6:12 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I still nurse my 19 month old to sleep 90% of the time.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 12:47 PM on Jul. 22, 2009