How do you put your infant down to bed without him waking up?

I have a 3 week old baby boy. After feeding him, I hold him against my chest and pat his back to burp him, then he falls asleep. But when I get up to put him back into his crib, he cries and wants to be on my chest again. How can I put him back to sleep without him waking up knowing that he's going back to his crib?

melody1881

Asked by melody1881 at 6:12 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used to think it was because going from on your tummy on mommy's warm chest to on your back on the cold crib did it... swaddle him after you burp him and maybe cover yourself in a blanket... then when you're ready to put him down, put down the blanket that was on you. Not only will it be warm, but it will also smell like you. Then lay baby down.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 6:20 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I put him on his tummy. He stayed asleep and slept for quite some time before waking again.
    Anonymous

• I agree with motherofanaries, I used to use a magic bag to warm the mattress before I put my little guy down, it also helps to make sure he's Totally Asleep! when they reach that limp arm totally motionless state, if he's still moving or his hands are twitching he needs a couple more minutes to drop in to deep sleep.

Congrats! Lots of fun ;) stuff ahead of you!
    wadesmum

Answer by wadesmum at 6:49 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Lovely answer anonymous, I woudn't include my name either if I was suggesting something that has been linked to SIDS
    wadesmum

Answer by wadesmum at 6:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• i put my son asleep on his stomach...he had really bad reflux....his doc didnt agree with me but i had to do what i though was right for my son....20 years ago doctors told moms to put there baby to sleep on there stomach...im still alive....do what sounds right to you.....try to burp him sitting up like holding his neck in your hand....then when he burps lay him down and rub his belly, once he is asleep leave the room and see if that works
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 7:01 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• wow my baby sleeps on his tummy and the DR. says it's FINE
    Anonymous

• honestly my son knows when hes tired he just fusses and as soon as i lay him in his crib hes content and looks around for a while and falls asleep but i used to have to swaddle him and then lay him down gently
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 10:22 PM on Jul. 21, 2009