Craving red sauce at the beginning of my pregnancy does that mean Im lacking any particular vitamin? thanks in advance for the info

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you shouldn't be lacking any vitamin if you are taking your prenatal vitamins

Answer by admckenzie at 6:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My OB told me that cravings for particular foods could indicate a nutrient was missing. If you're craving tomato sauce, you may be low on lycopene, beta carotine, or alpha carotine. While a good prenatal vitamin should help reduce the risk of missing nutrients, nothing substitutes a healthy, rounded diet.

I was told as long as I did not crave junk food or non-food items, to go ahead and indulge my food cravings. I often craved bananas and mangoes, as well as high iron foods like spinach and liver (and I can't stand liver, but MAN, when I was pregnant, did it EVER taste good for some reason...)

If you can make your own marinara sauce so that you can control the added sugar, fats and sodium, why not go ahead and eat it? Toss in some mushrooms for protein, bell pepper for vitamin C, garlic for potassium and calcium (yes, garlic has some calcium - who knew?!?) and toss it over some whole-wheat pasta..... MMMM MMMMMM
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2009