Newborn sleeping with you?

okay so we have been home for 2 days now and it seems like when i put him in his bassentt i wake up every 15 to 30 mins just to check on him and i am not getting any sleep not because he is waking me up but because i am so nervous and i keep checking on him. so proboly about 2am i just give up and put him in bed with me and i feel better knowing he is right next to me. i know it is frown apond but i jjust dont know what else to do. any suggestions?

ggiovanni

Asked by ggiovanni at 6:16 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i agree w. all the answers, i cosleep with my daughter who is 15 weeks now using the snuggle nest bed, w. no problems & it is making it easier to transition her to her own bed. i think of it as; imagine being warm and comfy inside your mom and then being born and expected to all of a sudden sleep on your own when for 9 months you've been so comfy inside your mummy? i think babies are just not developmentally able to sleep on their own right away! good luck & just heed the advice to be careful of suffocation hazards :) (www.snugglenest.com)
    NewMomKelly

Answer by NewMomKelly at 7:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• There's really nothing wrong with cosleeping. Cavewomen did not have bassinets or cribs ;) Just take the extra precautions... no pillow, no downy comforter, make sure the bed is firmly against the wall with no gaps... and I'm sure you'll be fine.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 6:18 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• ITS NOT FROWNED UPON...ALOT OF MOMMIES CO SLEEP. ESP. ONES THAT BREAST FEED....JUST GET YOU ONE OF THOSE THINGS YOU CAN PUT IN BED WITH YOU FOR HIM. BUT BE CAREFUL, WHAT YOU START YOU MAY HAVE TO CONTINUE. HE'LL GET USEDD TO THE BODY HEAT. BUT YOUR DEF. A NORMAL MOMMY. WE ALL GOT NERVOUS!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 6:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• i co-slept with both my girls. i tried the crib/bassinet thing with them but they weren't having it. so i ended up tiring myself to insanity and exhaustion for 1 month before giving in and letting them co-sleep. since then, i've always known they were safe by my side, and they always sleep better. and nursing was so much easier, i just popped it out & went back to sleep. lol

as long as your bed is safe from things your NB can suffocate from, such as pillows, big blankets, loose clothing, etc., you should be fine to co-sleep. also, it's better to know if you move aound a lot in your sleep. you wouldn't want to roll over the little angel.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 6:21 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• You know they have these little basinet things that go in your bed and sleep between you and your SO. They're pretty cool and it's safe for him so you don't have to worry about squishing him. Not to be the downer but my Husband is a firefighter and tells me about some of the terrible calls he gets. Just recentely he had to go to a call for a Daddy who fell asleep with their 1 week old baby and he suffocated him. Their relationship was torn apart because he didn't forgive himself and deep down she didnt forgive him either. It's so sad..I co-slept a few times but never really got much sleep I was too worried. Good luck and again...not trying to sound all psycho...just letting you know how much that happens
    Anonymous

• from day one i sleep- with my baby. just be carefull the bad thing is that when you try to get him to sleep in his crib will be hard. i try putting my now 4 month old in his bassinet/playyard and he cries so he ends up slepping with me. besides i think is easier for me since im breastfeeding. i dont have to get up all night to make bottles.
    adoradamia

Answer by adoradamia at 6:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I personally can sleep with my daughter in bed with me. I won't MOVE!! But if my boyfriend is in the bed, I would never do it. He's a heavy sleeper and moves around a LOT!! I get an elbow to the face at least twice a week (nothing MAJOR but sometimes it hurts!). I did that with her after my boyfriend went to work the first week she was home and put her in her bassinet for naps. She's use to her bassinet now and I KNOW I will wake up when she wakes up. She doesn't even have to cry and I know she's awake.
    CrystalJanie

Answer by CrystalJanie at 7:02 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Not frowned upon at all. If that's what it takes to get some sleep, do it!

Answer by gdiamante at 7:14 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• we co-slept.. It was great! If you & DH feel safe co-sleeping do it!
    If you or hubby sleep hard.. then dont!
    When dd first got home, i was afraid to co-sleep since i was afraid id fall into a deep sleep so she slept in a bassinet beside our bed so i could reach over & touch her if i wanted. a week later she started sleeping on our bed most of the time. .
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 8:06 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I have nothing against co-sleeping at all... I did it with my first daughter for the first 7-8 weeks, but it really didn't work out for us. I slept horribly, my husband slept horribly... it did help our baby sleep, but it just wasn't going to work for us in the long term. The only reason we were doing it was because our daughter would wake up, like you said, after 15 minutes (if she fell asleep at all in her own space). Just make sure you're doing it because you want to, and taking precautions. If you don't feel comfortable with it, try swaddling your baby really tightly. We thought our daughter hated this, but when we finally tried it again at around 7-8 weeks, it worked magic.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2009