Weaning from the bottle?

My DD is 11 months. I know she will stop formula soon. She drinks three bottles a day and will drink/water juice out of a sippy cup. When do you take the bottle away completely? At one year? I'm worried she will have melt downs. Any advice? I also got her in a really bad habit of going to bed with a bottle so I don't know what to do!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• doc says between 12 and 18 months....just take your time....give her her formula or milk in a sippy cup and try to eliminate the bottle completley
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 6:44 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• She's using a sippy cup now, there isn't any reason for a bottle!! Get rid of them now. Put the formula in the sippy and let her go at it. So she throws a fit? What do you usually do when she throws a fit? It's not a meltdown..it's a fit because she wants something you know she doesn't need.
    Anonymous

• Let her wean when she's ready. The nipple on a bottle is no different than the sippy cup spout, as far as the deterioration of the teeth are concerned. The AAP recommends weaning by age 18 months. The ADA says that most children wean ON THEIR OWN between 2-4 years of age. They also say that bottles don't really pose a dental problem until the child is closer to their third birthday. Why parents feel the need to battle with their kids over bottles is beyond me (I'm not referring to YOU by the way).

If your child is hooked on the bottle, you could always cut back on the number of bottles you give her everyday. And you could put water in her bedtime bottle (instead of milk/formula).

She's only a baby for such a short time. Don't spend precious moments trying to wean her from something she will more than likely wean herself from...in HER time.

Good luck!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 8:23 PM on Jul. 21, 2009