I don't believe in prayer so you pray for me.

Does that sound wrong to you? In the last few years I have had people say something like this to me,," I am not much on prayer but you are so will you pray for me." One friend told me her and God have an understanding, she stays away from Him and He stays away from her. I knew she was going through hard times, therefore, I prayed for her without her knowing. Eventually she asked for prayers but wouldn't pray for herself.

I don't mind praying for my friends but for some reason it bothers me to be asked to pray by a person who doesn't believe in prayers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:37 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It sounds as though your previous prayers for her have been answered! Her desire for your prayers after saying what she had about having an understanding with God is amazing! Keep praying for her and keep "walking the walk", and you'll be surprised at what God will do!
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 2:51 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Keeping in mind my perspective is different - in my belief, praying FOR anything on anyone's behalf is rude and presumptuous. The gods are not the Make a Wish foundation, or an ATM. Someone praying for me, to my mind, is being rude in my name. I think it's especially rude if you are the kind of person who thinks the general concept - praying for things - is ok, but can't even be bothered to do it yourself.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:34 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• oh dear...i guess I should clarify I am Christian and believe in prayer. I believe the Lord invites us to pray for our brothers and sisters.

Anonymous

• I guess if they don't feel a connection with God then they should probibly change Gods... But really, if you care for someone aren't you praying for them anyway? So, what's the deal?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I don't believe in helping the sick---you do it for me---I might be sick one day
    I don't believe in conserving energy--you do it for me--I will enjoy the rewards
    I don't believe in helping those in need of help-you do it for me-and me as well
    I don't believe in being nice--you be nice--and my best friend
    I don't believe in God-but since you do ask him to help me

I believe all of the above is that of hypocrite and find it wrong to ask someone to do something you would not do yourself.
    Anonymous

• Well, I've never asked anyone to pray for me. To me, that would be like telling a kid who believes in Santa to ask him to bring me cool toys for Christmas. Pointless.

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 8:20 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I don't mind praying for my friends but for some reason it bothers me to be asked to pray by a person who doesn't believe in prayers.

Thats "the deal" Sabrina

Anonymous

• Intercession is a gift not many understand. There is many instances of the power of prayer in the bible. Abraham was interceding and holding his hands up during battle... as long as they were up the Israelites would continue to win but once he would start to lower them they would begin to lose... so two men came along side and one on each side stood with him holding his arms up , they helped him in intercession. The battle was won. We as brothers and sisters in Christ are called to come along side each other and pray for one another. So if someone doesnt believe in prayer but they happened to have the faith that YOU believe.. by all means pray for them.. it may look wrong in the eyes of the natural but from God's perspective.. He could very well be asking you to step out in faith for this person. For those that believe that asking for prayer makes us look lazy .. is not seeing it through the spiritual perspective cont.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:03 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• but a worldly perspective which is totally understandable. :-) Doesn't mean it is right or ok tho!
    Just my thoughts!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:04 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• No it doesn't sound wrong, it sounds GREAT! It sounds that they acknowledge a supreme being of the one and only God. I have never been one to hesitate for praying for someone. I pray for unbelievers all the time. But my prayers will be to no avial unless the unbeliever softens their heart. I don'tfeel weird if someoen asks me either, it's a cry for help. I pray for all my brothers and sisters in Christ that they may come to believe and begin that loving relationship and let go of the sinfulness of this world. May God work his miracle in all of our lives and when we need it a swift kick in the butt to stay of the narrow path to rightousness.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 1:23 AM on Jul. 22, 2009