• In the Spotlight:

moms who go to work, sahm's welcome to comment

So me and hubby have a baby comming this Novemeber. I have to go to tax school, my moms paying so I'm gonna do it since i dont know when i'll have the chance again. The tax school is from 9/6/09 ro 11/12/09 and im due 11/10/09.

Should I risk it and do the tax school even tho im due just before the last day?

Also, the job is seasonal of course. 6 months out of the year. but Im not sure of the hours I'd get and Im worried that I'm gonna miss something exciting like a first word or roll over, something like that and im sad about the thought of that but we need the extra income so I haven't brought it up to hubby because then he'll feel guilty and not want me to do it anymore. I also wanna breast feed and have no idea how that will work out.

how do you moms who work deal with missing your babies 1sts? How did you deal with working and having an infant? I'm getting sad at the thot but its somehing i need to do

Dom123123

Asked by Dom123123 at 7:02 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OK. Here's the working mom's rule of firsts: It didn't happen unless mom saw it.

And let me be honest, ten years down the line? I don't remember any of the firsts. **shrug** I'm not one to look back.

The most successful breastfeeders I've known worked full time out of the home.

My big concern for you is that you might go into labor during class! Your due date is just an estimate. Of course, you could also deliver two weeks later.

Make sure you're clear on what happens should you deliver early and cannot finish the class. I'd base my decision on that.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:14 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• yeah i would do it, i am sure they would let u make up that last couple days if u went into labor and missed them
    Anonymous

• okay my best friend in my stats class is due august 1st... school is out july 30th! i think you might be okay, on average 1st time mothers who go into labor naturally are 8 days overdue... thats just an average though so just practice good judgement. i would go and just see where it takes me, if i go into labor then at least i tried, right? :]
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 7:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• YEAH, i'm going to get more specifics on attendence because at least when i was in college you could miss classes thru the semester but u better be there that last day but I do knoiw that thereis a later class which i might take and its only later by 2 weeks and I also may opt to do that. the class is only 3 hours every day which is goo because if i did go into labor at an ideal time and had baby with me then Im sure i could manage pumping something or taking breaks, hubby said if the baby comes during class he'll take his vacation so he can stay with the baby.

I need to get more specifcs it seems.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 7:28 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I would go to the school... they can probably make special arrangments for you if you end up having your baby before class is done.
    I work full time... and there are SOOOO many firsts the few you miss aren't a big deal. And even if you aren't there it's still so exciting to learn that they did something new.
    As far as breastfeeding.... a breastfed baby can still take a bottle if you introduce it early enough. When I went back to work I pumped at work and he took expressed milk while I was gone. We introduced the bottle long before I went back to work though because so many breastfed babies don't want anything to do with a bottle if they haven't had one all along. What we did was DH had to do 1 of the night time feedings. It was a chance for them to bond and my son never had any troubles going from breast to bottle.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Ask yourself-- what will happen if I don't take the course? You'll be prohibited from the specific type of job until you complete the course. Will that limit your financial opportunities? Will you be able to take the course again at a later date? Will you get a refund on any tuition already paid?

I agree with another poster that said "unless mom sees it it didn't happen"-- firsts are all relative. It's like-- if a tree falls in the forest did it make a sound? Not unless someone was there to hear it!

If it's what's best for you and your family in the long run-- go for it!

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 7:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2009