How much for allowance?

My son is 6. Ive just started once again 'me and my jobs chart' He gets a check if he picks up his toys, makes his bed, gets his stuff ready 4 the next day, etc and today he wanted to help mommy w/ the dishes!!!!! Thats def not on his job chart. He only washed two cups and a bowl and had fun doing it. This chore chart thing really seems to be working! For those mommies who gives their kids allowance; how much? how often? what do they do? My sons 6. And what happens if they dont follow the rules?

kahala

Asked by kahala at 7:04 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Our son (6) just starting get an allowance too. He gets 50 cents a day if he does all his chores. He will lose his allowance for the day if he doesn't do even 1 of those. He makes his bed (he's learning), sets the table, clears the table of lingering dishes and condiments, folds and puts away his laundry, helps put away groceries, and has to clean up the bathroom after he takes his bath and clean his room daily. He actually gets paid at the end of the week, and not daily.
    Anonymous

• We have a chore chart and we list each job and what each job is worth. The amount per job varies from 5 cents to 25 cents depending on the difficulty of the job. Like putting her dirty clothes in the laundry is worth 5 cents and she does this every night. Having her room cleaned up by bedtime is 10 cents. Emptying the bathroom trash cans- 10 cents, dusting -25 cents, etc. So by paying by the job, she gets some control over how much or how little money she gets each week. Sometimes I have to 'encourage' her to do more or remind her that she hasn't earned very much money yet. She also splits her money up each week into 'give, save and spend'. She saves her spend money for a few weeks to get a toy that she really wants. So the more work she does, the closer she gets to buying a toy. She's 6 btw.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:02 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My son is 6 & I have a list of the "basic chores", and pay like 25cents for each chore he does. But, if he does "extras" for me, I don't really give him much, because I don't want him thinking when he helps, he should get paid. He has to learn that we live here as a family, and we all chip in doing the work. I do, however, praise him and thank him for helping mommy, and he's a big help. He's fine with that, and knows I don't get an allowance for doing housework, laundry, cooking, etc.
    I also don't want him to expect money every time I ask him to do something, like help bring in groceries, he's not gonna say "how much you gonna give me?"...lol
    If he's bad, I'll subtract 25 cents for each time he is. Whatever's left in the "jar" he gets at the end of the week.
    mylove4logan

Answer by mylove4logan at 9:52 AM on Jul. 22, 2009