When did your son combining words?

My 32 month old son isn't combining words yet. Early intervention and speech therapy have been involved for the last 8 months.

pretty_in_pink2

Asked by pretty_in_pink2 at 7:07 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My oldest was very slow to speak. I think we heard a few combinations at 2, but his speech didn't really explode until he was 2 1/2 or 3 years old. He almost never spoke and we only heard him say a handful of words before that. Now he is a little chatterbox and is becoming clearer every day (he is 3 1/2). My 2nd born was slow too, but was chattering away and combining words at 2 years old. He is never quiet and is now 27 months.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:10 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My oldest was holding full conversations by 18 months. (freaky!)
    My second was probably around 19 months when he started using phrases.
    My third said his first word at 23 months after a month of speech therapy and is now using simple sentences. He's in speech therapy since last September.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My son is 28 months and just beginning to combine words (mostly in the wrong order). he also is in EI and has speech therapy. If you're concerned, I'd talk to your therapist about it and see what she says. You may very well find that once he starts, he'll progress quickly.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• my dd barely said a word until she reached 19 mos... now at 20 mos she is trying to add more words to phrases. Every kid is different! And I bet when he starts talking he will surprise you with how much he knows! :) GL
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 7:33 PM on Jul. 21, 2009