Need advise - I'm on baby overload!

My husband & I have decided to have a baby (I'm 39, he's 36). I've started looking at the "baby-stuff'" I'll be needing and I'm COMPLETLY OVERLOADED . Cribs, stroller, blankets, bath sets, cloths....Its all to much for me. I almost has a panic attack today walking into my local second hand kids store. Until 8 months ago I never expected I would want a child so I never payed much attention to baby or children items. Now that I want a child I feel like I'm playing catch-up and can't get a grip on anything. Does any one have any advise or a basic list of what I need vs. what "everyone says you need"?

slgmom

Asked by slgmom at 7:08 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• What you REALLY need?

Car seat.

Diapers.

Wipes.

Bottles and formula if you're going to formula feed.

Changing table.

Crib (unless you're going to co-sleep)

A few onesies, socks, hat.

Baby washcloths and towel.

Everything else? Optional.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:10 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Lots of clothes and bottles.
    Formula unless you want to breast feed.
    Also buy lots of diapers.
    if you plan on having a baby shower youll most likely get lots of newborn diapers so you should stock up on bigger sizes it doesnt hurt to be prepared for the day your little one doesnt fit into a NB diaper lol.
    a carseat of course.You dont have to have a stroller but theyre very handy there are also slings.
    Crib unless you want your little one sleeping with you forever. lol
    baby baths are optional cause there is always a sink.
    burp rags, and wash cloths.
    Cant forget TONS of baby wipeys
    Blankets, and depending on the weather socks, mittens, and baby beanies.
    Im sure there is more but thats basics hehe
    firethearson

Answer by firethearson at 7:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• You should consider cloth diapers! They aren't what they used to be and they save you SO much money! If you want more info on cloth diapering feel free to send me a message!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 7:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Lots and lots of love. Diapers, wipes, formula, burpies, carseat, stroller, clothes, swing.
    Anonymous

• you should wait until u get pregnant and see what you get at ur baby shower. make a registry
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 7:21 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• What we did is we started trying. Once we got pg and I made it to the second trimester and out of the danger zone we bought a little here and there. A little bit each month. The stuff you need is a crib (or bassinet until you can afford a crib), stroller, carseat, blankets, towels, bathtub, bottles (even if you bf), burp cloths, clothes and diapers. I'm probably forgetting some stuff but I think I got the basics. If you try to get it all at once you'll get overwhelmed.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 7:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• You need a big heart and a lot of patience. You need a healthy diet and classes in newborn care, infant first aid and breastfeeding. You need some onsies, a bassinet or crib, diapers, lots of washclothes (cheaper than wipes), a baby backpack (much more convenient than a stroller) and a healthy diet.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:47 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Thanks Ladies!!!! All of your answers/suggestions have let me put all of the 'baby stuff' into perspective. (Needs vs. Love to Have) I really appreciate all of you help. Thanks again!
    SLGmom
    slgmom

Answer by slgmom at 1:27 PM on Jul. 31, 2009