My son is a runner! Help!

When ever he can he runs away from me! He will run into the street and it scares me. I hold his hand all the time now but its hard to get things done. He will be 2 next month any advice?

missylove916

Asked by missylove916 at 7:22 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• a leash! i know people think those are uncouth but my son is a runner too and for my sanity i need one!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 7:26 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• He needs to be reprimanded for running from you. a good spank on the butt or a slap on the hand. He needs to know he cant do that or one day he may get very hurt.
    Anonymous

• agree with both of them above
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 8:01 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• If you are walking down a quiet street, then let him practice his "nice walking manners". If he does not listen or runs away then he gets lifted onto your shoulders and you go home. Hold his feet - he may kick you during his "I want down" tantrum.

If you are out shopping, carry him to the shopping carts and strap him in. Do not let him walk in a store until he has fully mastered the neighborhood. Even then, add at least 6 months.

And yes, some kids just don't have the impluse control to not dart off after every little interesting thing. No amount of lectures or punishments will force impules control into these toddlers, only time will. For them, a leash is the best bet. Freedom and safety in one.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Agree with Kaycee14. I would also tote a stroller with you while you're taking your walks. If he darts into the street, into the stroller he goes.
    Anonymous

• Thanks everyone for ur help
    missylove916

Answer by missylove916 at 8:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Yup, give him options, "you can hold mommy's hand or you can go into the stroller". If he darts off, "oops, you chose the stroller". You need practice runs in safer places, if you have to go someplace dangerous, then put him into the stroller, or get a leash (I know there is a stigma with those, but they are handy when used right, as a teaching tool).
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Nothing like hitting a toddler for doing what toddlers do, huh anon? Just whack 'em so you don't have to think too much about how to teach your kids.

OP:
    If a leash would work for you, then Walmart sells the ones with the plush animal backpacks. I think those are better than a straight up dog style harness and leash, lol.

But, at being not quite 2, this is one of those things that takes a lot of practice and repetition.

My daughter has always been a darter, now at 2, she does better, but we had lots of practice.

If we are outside, I make sure to get down to her level and point out cars and that they are dnagerous and she cna get hurt, then I say "you have to hold mommy". Especially in a parking lot.
    If she won't hold my hand, we don't go, or she gets carried. It takes time and repetition, just like everything else a child learns, but if you stay consistent and talk to them, they'll get the hang of it.
    Arkaidy

Answer by Arkaidy at 11:32 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I don't agree with spanking a child for running away, that just teaches them that when Mommy catches them, they're going to get a spanking and make it less likely they'll stay with you or come back to you when they run. A harness is a good idea, jsut remember nothing around the neck.
    cjbj08

Answer by cjbj08 at 1:51 AM on Jul. 22, 2009