Baby necessities for a first time mom....

I went to babies r us and they gave me a check list of all the things i'll need for when the baby arrives. But my husband and I are on a very tight budget and can hardly believe we need EVERYTHING. But I dont want to guess what things I can eliminate... are biggest concern is for the bigger items. We'll all be sharing a bed room in his mothers house while we look for a place of our own. What items could I not live without the first 2 months?

AmyOmommy

Asked by AmyOmommy at 8:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You don't need a changing table, in my opinion they're useless, I always changed mine in their cribs or my bed or anywhere really. You don't have to get a crib right away, the baby can sleep in a bassinet, cradle or pack-n-play.

All you really need for the first 2 months is clothes, bath essentials, a place for baby to sleep, and whatever essentials you'll need whether you choose breast or formula.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:03 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Agreed about the changing table. Don't waste the time. And a pack-n-play is a great alternative to a crib at first, for sure.

Car seat is probably your biggest necessity, as far as major items goes...clothes, binkies (if you are going to use them...if you do, stock up...they get lost easy!), anything you need that has to do with feeding...and of course diapers and wipes!
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 8:07 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• i agree with no changing table needed..use the bed or the floor
    first 2 months a bassinet is fine - no crib needed et, but will be needed not too long after

NEED - diapers, wipes, bottles, clothes, blankets, bouncie seat, car seat, bibs, burb rags, baby bath, nail clippers, nose sucker thingy, infant tylenol (just incase), baby gas drops, stroller & or sling thingy, boppy pillow, some small cheap baby toys for when baby starts being able to grab things

good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:10 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• LOL i forgot the carseat. Yea, definitely a necessity =)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:10 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• OH YEAH - AND BINKIES :)
    mommymeg03

• I agree with the above poster. We just bought a changing pad and put it on any dresser and it works great. You can get one for $20 I think.

A baby can sleep in a bassinet or a pack-n-play. Pack-n-Plays are better, I think, because your chld won't outgrow them as much as a bassinet. And if you get a pack-n-play, I would suggest not getting one with a changing table on it. They are very flimsy, from what I saw, and I wouldn't have trusted putting my son on there.

I will say a swing was the greatest thing we bought. You can look on Craigslist in your area and see if anyone is selling them. I know one of my friends got the Fisher Price one for like $10 almost new.

I don't know if you're having a baby shower, but if you are, you'll get a lot of clothes! I wouldn't even worry about buying clothes until afterwards. If not, you don't need much. They outgrow them so fast!

Anonymous

• i agree with all the posters but some advice there are some place you can contact that will help you with some of the baby things..
    brittanybell

Answer by brittanybell at 8:14 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• You should consider cloth diapers! They aren't what they used to be and they save SO much money!!! If you want to learn more, send me a message!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 8:21 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I can't add much to the list, being a FTM (still pg). But i can tell you that if you look on craigslist you can find some really good deals on the stuff mentioned above. There are lots of clothes, swings and other stuff usually posted on there. I spent less than $300 and got everything, including a crib and bassinet off of there. Hope this helps and congratz!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 8:23 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Diaper bag is a must (most come with a changing pad. Mind you an old towel works just as well is more absorbent and easier to clean. )
    Diapers, wipes, bibs, burp cloths (also old towels), car seat, carriage (one of the convert able ones is great- can act as a bassinet as well.). Pumping supplies or bottles (no more than five is needed at this stage). Anything else is just extra.
    elizabooks

Answer by elizabooks at 8:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2009