15 month old, doesnt seem to ever need "time outs"

at my son's 15 month well checkup yesterday, the dr. told me this is an age that is good to teach discipline by doing time outs if he doesnt listen. she used an example, like if he were to constantly do something very bad and NO didnt do the trick, to stick him in the crib for about a minute, or to try the chair in a corner thing. but honestly, my son isn't that bad! I mean sure he has moments of tantrums, but they are short lived, and if he does something bad or dangerous, NO or UH UH seems to do the trick! he'll stop what he's doing right away, if not the second time. I'm sure the time out days are around the corner, but he is a very well behaved toddler. anyone else experiencing a well behaved toddler in general and you havent had to use time outs yet?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I didn't really have to use time outs until closer to 18 months. I don't use time out for tantrums I just walk away or put her in her room until she settles down and then we talk about it. Even at 21/2 my daughter doesn't get many time outs, she is pretty well behaved, at least for now.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 8:13 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My dd is 20 mos and I've rarely used time outs or other forms of disclipline. "No" works all the time! She knows better and while she tries to test, she doesn't actually disobey the rules. She looks at me, smiles and tries to continue doing what she knows she isn't allowed to do (running in the street/touching something breakable). I guess we are lucky! I've been told "watch out for the second one!" however.... lol
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 8:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• File what she told you in the back of your mind. The "well behaved toddler" phase won't last. It might be tommorw, next month, or even after he turns 3... but it's coming.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• yes I wouldnt do a time out over a tantrum, but I mean over something that is bad and dangerous, like trying to climb a shelf or poke at an electrical outlet...stuff like that. sometimes he does try to do dangerous things, but I always catch him in the act and he responds well to NO or UH UH since we try not to overuse those words. he tests us sometimes by doing it again, but stops after the second time. not for good, but at the moment at least lol
    Anonymous

• Yep. I have two like that. I still rarely need time outs with them. They do better with discussion and explaining.
    Anonymous

• Are you asking a question, or are you just boasting about your "well-behaved toddler"? That phase won't last by the way. Prepare yourself for what's ahead. The toddler years are the most challenging for parents (only second to the teenage years).
    Anonymous

• Yes, my oldest didn't need anything like timeouts until he was at least two and a half.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 8:34 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• uuuh no anon 826 I asked the actual question at the end of my post. I was in no means bragging about my son. I just found it interesting how the dr. gave me a pep talk about discipline and I havent really been in a situation "yet" where i needed to do so since my son is generally well behaved. and I asked if other moms are experiencing in the same thing. i'm a 1st time mother and have the right to hear other stories from moms... =P
    Anonymous

• My ds is like that. He's 4 and rarely get in trouble. In our house I ask them to do something. If they don't do it right away we count to 3. I get to one and he is up. He cleans his room without being asked. I ask him to do something and usually does it right away. I know this won't last forever so I'm just enjoying every day. That's my advice to you. Just enjoy it.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 8:38 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My son is 17 months and is a sweetie. He is starting to show signs of tantrums when he's tierd and doesn't want to get into his car seat. When we're at home and he doesn't get my full attention he'll get into things he knows he's not suppose to so I will tell him no once, if he doesn't listen I take him to time out. It's not like he's being that bad but I do what him to know who the boss is at an early age so I don't have a struggle later on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Jul. 22, 2009