Advice for mother with 5 year old son with severe anxiety??/ HEEELLLPPPPP!!

My 5 year old son was just diagnosed with severe anxiety? Does anyone here have any experience with children with this problem? We recently went through a tragic house fire and out of my 3 children, it impacted my son the most. We had been taking my son to the doctor swearing up and down he had ADD or ADHD!! Every doctor/teacher that evaluated him has said he DOES NOT have either but rather severe anxiety. He cannot calm himself down and sometimes gets soooooo overly excited he cannot sleep and doesnt fall asleep sometimes till 1 or 2 in the morning...I would very much appreciate any help anyone has. I have read about it on the internet and everything recommends drugs such as zoloft, etc and I am HIGHLY HIGHLY against that.. PLEASSSEEEE HELPPPP!!!

3ousoonerkids

Asked by 3ousoonerkids at 8:09 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Well I have not yet had or met a child with anxiety, but I myself struggle daily with it. I do not take drugs (yet lol), I just learned breathing techniques which you can look at on http://www.anxietypanic.com/breathing.html but I'm not sure how you would explain how to do it to him. Also, I drink chamomile tea in the evenings which really helps calm my nerves. I hope he overcomes his anxiety soon, I know how hard it is, good luck to you all!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:16 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My son was diagnosed with anxiety at around 9 years old, and he was on a low dose of a Medication for about a year and now he is off the medication. Sometimes the medication can really help....especially if combined with some counseling/therapy to help him learn to deal with the anxiety. Anxiety can sort of snowball and get more and more out of control....and it is good if you can avoid that. But maybe some counseling without any medication would work, if he can be taught to relax himself. It really does depend on how severe and disabling the anxiety is for him....My son did not have any negative side effects from the medication, and it was a very low dose. Try to stay calm about it yourself....when he gets anxious, try not to respond with anxiety. Be reassuring and let him know it is okay.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Change his diet. Take out all sugar and use only whole wheat flour. You will be surprised at the impact it has.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:20 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My son had severe anxiety and I took him to play therapy/behavioral therapy. A change in diet is not going to help his anxiety. He has been through a traumatic thing. I would have him evlauated by a child psychologist for Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome. Also, if it is so severe that he cannot sleep or cannot calm himself down, medicine may be the best thing for him, along with the counseling. I have anxiety and if I didn't have Xanax to take when I was having an anxiety attack, I would be in deep trouble. I would be in the hospital having a nervous breakdown or I wouldn't leave my house.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:47 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• do you take him in for play therapy? I have heard a pet is helpful...they can talk out their feelings to their pet and in turn help them become calmer.
    Try soothing music. Recognize the signs that an attack is coming on and help him to see that his anxiety is coming on and teach him to control it on his own. Have an mp3 player set up with nature sounds that he can keep handy to sooth himself.
    it will take time.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:53 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My 5yr. old son was also recently diagnoised w/ anxiety, although not as severe as your sons and we don't know the cause. I also thought he had behavioral problems and/or maybe adhd. Anyway, he has been going to play therapy for 6 weeks and it has already helped him so much! I would definately recomend finding a play therapsist for him, as talk therapy doesn't always work as well for kids. Also, there is a book that I've been wanting to get for him called "What to do when you worry too much". You can try deep breathing and other relaxation techniques, as well as avoiding tv before bed, soothing music, improving his diet, trying to help him get enough sleep, etc.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 3:36 PM on Jul. 23, 2009

• I have a 6 year old daughter that was just diagnosed with PTSD and Anxiety about 2 weeks ago. She was just started on a very low dose of an anti-depressant and she is going through therapy at this time for young children. I'm not happy about her being on the medicine either, but I don't know what else to do or how to help her. She has become disruptive, compulsive, anger outbursts, violent at times and she has acted out sexually. As for sleep, I give her a 1mg dose of Melatonin that is sublingual and that has really helped her to fall asleep. If I had money I would seek alternative therapies to try and find something that might help. Don't know if what I've said will help you in any way, but it is nice to know that I am not alone in dealing with this. Good luck to you and God bless you and your family.
    Anonymous