For the SAHMs , does your SO ever tell you you need to be more independent?

I stay at home with my 3 kids. 2 of them are from previous relationships & he used to be fine with me staying home while he worked. Now he's always saying I need to be more independent. Anybody else go through this with they're man?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• My husband never tells me this, but I do feel like I should be, just for myself.
    Anonymous

• No, in face he tells me sometimes, he wishes I wasnt so independent. He understands that I have to be since he's gone so much, though.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 8:18 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Independent how? As in getting a job? I am a SAHM but am very independent and make extra money on the side making and selling TuTu's and flower headbands and we have 2 cars so I don't have to depend on him to get around. The money I make is my shopping money or just extra. But we are a partnership and work together, he contributes to the family by working and I contribute by taking care of the kids, house, paying bills, kids appointments and so on.

mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• No, he would never tell me that, and besides my hubby and I are happy with the way things are, as long as the house is clean and he is not hungry he is as happy as a clam, he don't tell me that either I just know, my man is pretty laid back about everything he can come home to a pig sty and not say a word about it, I'm not saying my home is a pig sty.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 8:21 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• To answer mommymine3 independent as getting a job. It doesn't help that I don't have a license to drive either.
    Anonymous

• My husband has never said that but with that being said I am more of a work from home mom. I bring in a little extra income working from home via ebay I also manage everyones schedules bill paying budgeting grocery shopping and all household chores. I pack hubbys lunch for work and make sure he gets to his doc appointments so I guess if anything he would probably say he needs to be more independant LOL
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 8:55 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• no my husband knows how independent i am already. i lived without him for 12 yrs as a single mom so if he ever treated me less then what i deserved then he would be out of the house until he learned some manners. thing is my husband wants me home and so do i so it works for us.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:30 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• No, my husband never tells me I need to be more independent. I worked outside the home until my son was born and then from the time he was 2 months old until he was 9 months old. I stay home now and our house runs more smoothly because of it (now dinner is cooked most nights and the house get clean without having to worry about doing it on the weekend).
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 9:38 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• yes and no. he says he would like it if I could stay home but with the economy as bad as it is, he is constantly asking and reminding me that we agreed I would go back to work when dd is born... she has another 1 1/2 weeks to bake. then when I get home from the hospital and heal (so a week or two after) I will start my job hunt. its got nothing to do with independance though... just that we need more money!
    Anonymous

• He has said this a few times, and then I remind him that he is not as independent as he likes to think he is. After all, I am the one who washes, dries, folds and puts away his clothes. I also cook and clean up after him. I pay the bills, physically. Then he realizes that is not a matter of independence or dependence, but more as we are a team.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 9:45 PM on Jul. 21, 2009