Restarting Breastfeeding: HELP!

I had surgery Friday and couldn't breastfeed again until Monday morning. Now, my son HATES nursing and refuses the breast. What do I do? My supply is diminished, pumping doesn't work that great for me, and I'm heartbroken. I need some advice.

laadeedah

Asked by laadeedah at 8:37 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OK well sounds like someone gave you bad advice to stop, BUT you can get him to the breast it takes work...time for some skin to skin, get a supplimental nursing system and if he knows how to nurse he will nurse...no more bottles, if you need to give something besides the breast give a medicine syringe or dropper of milk. Pump every 2-3 hours to keep up supply. Go see a LC as soon as you can and call the local la leche league maybe someone can come to your house to help you. I know a mom who adopted an 8 month old who had never been nrused but in 2 weeks she was at the breast fully...it can be done. Don't give up

If you have milk and he knows how to nurse he needs to see your breasts as food again instead of the bottle....next time no need to stop Bfing for surgery ok??
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:04 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• sorry hun
    try not to beat your self up!
    if you have to then feed him formula - he will be fine

:)
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I'm with Tabi on this one... you can do it!!!
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 9:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Tabi said it all... She knows her stuff!
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 12:39 PM on Jul. 22, 2009