Fallowing cues?

How come most moms say to fallow your babys cues, and that babys don't have magic dates for everything etc. But then they're so addement about not starting solids untill 6 months lol?
Are these the same mothers? Just curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 6 months is the age when a child can physically digest solid food. Following cues usually refers to when the child wants to eat. Following cues in regards to solids is referring to the fact that AFTER 6 months you follow their cues, if they aren't interested in solids at exactly 6 months, then wait a while.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 9:06 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I don't agree with the 6 month rule for solid foods. All 3 of my daughters began infant rice cereal at 3-4 months and pureed veggies & fruits soon after. These schedules were set up by their pediatricians. My granddaughter's pediatrician didn't gasp when she was told that she had begun infant cereal and fruits at 4 months old. In fact, she told me I was doing the exact correct thing when I told her the method of introduction.
    If it is done correctly, then the child will grow healthy.
    BTW, you have to wait until the infant can move the food to the back of their palate with their tongue without choking on it. If they push it out or let it slide down and gag on it, then they are not ready for solids.
    So it is all a little bit of both, but overall I think it is plain old common sense.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:29 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I understand exactly what you mean. Like when a Mom says "follow the cues" and her baby is obviously ready to eat solids at say 5 months and they wait until 6 months or later."

I also find it funny that some Mom's will say "follow the cues" and then take their babies out around nap time and so miss a nap. Well.... that doesn't make sense to me either!

I am a big believer in following cues and I try and succeed most of the time. So when my DD wanted solids at 4.5 months we made sure and she in now on them by 5 months. Loves every mouthful, gobbles it down and is very content.
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 9:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I follow my babies ques he was ready for more solid food at 3 and a half months and just follow from there. But somethings I follow what the doc says like at 6 months old we need to get him to sleep in his own bed so we took the appropriate steps to get him to be able to put himself asleep.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Every baby is different - the baby nurse at our clinic had us start our son on small amounts of cereal at 2 weeks old, my dd didn't start until 3 months. My son has had no problem eating since then, now at 10 months he eats like a champ.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 8:31 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Like the first poster said, babies are not ready to digest anything else other than breastmilk (or formula) until at least 6 months. There is a lot of research to back this up. The problem is that a lot of doctors do not know that the AAP recommends not giving babies anything else until at least 6 months. They are still going on the outdated information of 4-6 months.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 12:35 PM on Jul. 22, 2009