How to get my Daughter to sit on the potty?

My daughter was doing great with potty training. She tells us when she has to go and goes everytime you sit her on the potty. Unfortuntaly for the last 3 weeks she refuses to sit on the potty. She is starting to throw fits when we try? I have no idea what to do now? Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

nora_newmom

Asked by nora_newmom at 8:54 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have no idea, but mine does that too! She was doing soo good until about 2 wks ago so I just stopped and will try to reintroduce it in a month. She flips out when I put her on it and starts crying and kicking... i have no idea why! I've heard it is because it is no longer "fun" and ways to make it fun is putting stickers IN the potty or a cheerio so they will want to make them float. That hasn't worked for us.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 8:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Try to find out if there is a reason she doesn't like the potty or where it is. One of my sons thought there were Roweers (monsters) in the bathroom. One time a baby opossum climbed up our sink plumbing of our mobile home and got in our sink cabinet. I hung a windchime over the toilet and told him it would keep the Roweers away. We also fixed the plumbing so we didn't have more visitors. He was fine then.

Next we lived in a house and he saw a spider in one of the bathrooms. He would never go in there again. My husband had just left (deserted us) and I had a premature baby and two other kids I was taking care of and I was sick and the toilet broke. There was no way I could get to the toilet right away. I told him to please just go in the spider bathroom (I didn't call it that) with his older brother. He couldn't do it. He ended up having to pee outside.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 9:04 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Maybe try letting her pick out a new book or dvd about a going on the potty. Show her that mommy sits on the potty and it's fun and okay. If she sits on it even for a split second give her LOTS of praise!!Good luck! She'll come around.
    Josslynsmommy

Answer by Josslynsmommy at 10:18 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• i give my child a toy to play with while he go on the potty, he will pee-pee like 2 or 3 times in the potty, the rest of the time on himself. now i take him every 15- 30 min, he will still pee on himself after he get up off the potty.
    brownskinmomma

Answer by brownskinmomma at 10:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• We did a marble jar with Bee and it worked wonderfully. She started doing the same thing after a few months potty training. We went to the store and she got to pick out a little vase and some pretty marbles. ( I think they were actually floral arrangement glass rocks) Every time she went pee in the potty she got to put 1 marble in. If she pooped in the potty she got to put in two. She always got to put them in herself. The best part was that when the jar was filled she was able to get a big prize. She filled it three times before we stopped needing to use it. The first time we let her get this big toy she'd been wanting for a while and was just a little two much for a casual "okay let's get it for her". The second time she picked going to Chuck E Cheese. And the third time she got a set of blendy pens from the tv commercial.
    MommaJen536

Answer by MommaJen536 at 1:12 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• (Sorry, I ran out of space and wanted to finish) The marbles themselves were a treat to put in to her. So that added a level of fun that helped us get over the fighting.

I also just wanted to add that I personally do not recommend using any type of training diaper, disposable particularly. I'm sure they work for some, but for us they were a terrible disaster. All they managed to do was teach my daughter that it was okay to pee in her panties. After a week of that we just put her in big girl panties to let her feel uncomfortable it was to have an accident and dealt with the messes. This worked so much better for us. Best of luck!
    MommaJen536

Answer by MommaJen536 at 1:16 AM on Jul. 22, 2009