Did America ever consider itself a Judeo-Christian nation?

Rep Randy Forbes speaks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Anonymous

• I don't think so, it was really based on Freemasonry. I do believe that the church is getting dangerously close to the government though. Protestants once distanced themselves from the affairs of the state, now they want to instill their values within it.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 2:43 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• nope..but alot of the time Christians will think it is.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 9:04 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• The people were all Christian when this nation first started and this government is meant to be by the people for the people so in one way it was. On the other side of things we have the right to freedom of religion. I don't think it was established as a Christian nation yet I think it was seeing that the people were. Once we started opening up Non-English immigration then I'd say that had changed.
    MorriganzMommy

Answer by MorriganzMommy at 9:18 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Most of the founding fathers were Christian. However they were also almost all Freemasons. And it is THOSE pricipals that this country was built upon. We know this because not being a strict Christian was not punishable by law. While most were Christian, we did not legally punish those that were not, natives or other immagrants. You have to remember too, that many of the original settlers were actually fleeing from the Church of England, looking for a way out or it's constant control. So, while this country was founded by mostly Christian men, it was not actually built on Christian principals but Freemoson ones. And since Freemasonry was a social and not religious organisation (and still is) it was very fitting!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:31 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Ever read the Jefferson Bible? As Jefferson once said, "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." Infact, Washington stopped going to church after the pastor asked him to stop leaving before communion--and once stated that he would accept "Mohometans, Jews or Christians of any Sect, or they may be Atheists" to work at Mount Vernon (his home) and wrote in a letter, "Being no bigot myself, I am disposed to indulge the professors of Christianity in the church that road to heaven which to them shall seem the most direct, plainest, easiest and least liable to exception." John Adams (as well as John Quincy Adams) became a Unitarian, neither believing in the Trinity nor the Divinity of Jesus, though he was a regular church goer.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 12:14 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Christianity was the religion of the time...but this nation was never founded as a Christian nation, anymore that it was founded as an English nation because most of the inhabitants were previously English. Do we have many things in common with both England and Christianity? Yes...because many of our systems were founded by persons that were those things.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 12:17 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• http://skeptically.org/thinkersonreligion/id9.html
    Anonymous

• Yes.
    momof2wneeds

Answer by momof2wneeds at 6:31 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Of all the men who write and signed the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States - all but 1 were self-declared Christians. The structure of our three part government was inspired from a passage in the Bible's book of Isaiah. Many of the founders are on record as strongly encouraging the teaching of Christianity in schools since a moral foundation was declared an absolute necessity to the continuance of our government and freedoms. One of the hottest debates was over the lack of a religious test as pre-requisite for government service as so many of the states at that time had. The culture was undeniably Christian but, in accordance with biblical principles, our government was purposefully created to be a secular entity and strictly limited in order to protect the right for each individual citizen to worship end freely express his faith as he saw fit.

Jovaiel

Answer by Jovaiel at 8:08 PM on Jul. 22, 2009