How much did you spend on school supplies?

For my two kids going into 1st and 4th, I spent $65 on supply list items, plus $20 on backpacks. We haven't bought any clothes/shoes yet. The receipt said I saved over $45 with coupons and sale items, plus I saved another $15 using my employee discount. It seemed outrageous to me, so I was wondering how much others have spent?

sparrowprincess

Asked by sparrowprincess at 9:00 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My kids school has a cool program where you can send in a check and the supplies are delivered to your kids classroom, without any shopping. This year the total was $55. We still need to buy a backpack and lunchbox.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 9:04 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• i honestly dont remember..but toys r us has a sale buy a back pack and get a lunch box free so i did that, spent $14 on the backpack and saved $10 on the lunch box
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:06 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• So far we've spent $150 for 3 kids (going into preschool, 1st, 2nd and 4th) and that included 4 bookbags and supplies (there were also 2 pair of jeans on the ticked so I guess it was more like $125) but we didn't get any of the cleaning stuff they need like paper towels, kleenex, wipes, etc. That will be at least another $50 and we didn't get all of the supplies for the preschooler because I don't know what she will need (she just got a bookbag and folder).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:09 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Nothing. Our school supplies everything. Lucky I guess!! We get books to keep at home, so I just got each of the kids a binder to carry back and forth. We are very lucky when it comes to that!! I have never had a teacher ask for supplies or money for them! And I have 3 in school, going to 4th, 5th and 7th grade. Public school, too. I do buy a couple packs of pencils and some spiral notebooks, but those are just so they have extras. Not required.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 9:10 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• i have 3 kids (2 in 1st and 1 in 3rd) i buy them nothing but the best so far i have spent over $300.00 and thats not including my daughters $175 backpack (prada). Yes, Ouch But They Are Worth It. were not even near done. and the clothes are probably around 500 per kid...so far.
    Anonymous

• "i have 3 kids (2 in 1st and 1 in 3rd) i buy them nothing but the best so far i have spent over $300.00 and thats not including my daughters $175 backpack (prada). Yes, Ouch But They Are Worth It. were not even near done. and the clothes are probably around 500 per kid...so far."

__

Too bad one of the things they aren't learning at home is the value of a dollar. I feel bad for your spoiled brats.
    Anonymous

• $25 for two kids, 14 and 15. Didn't need book bags since the have high-quality ones they've had a few years. I shopped at 3 stores to get the best deals.

No school clothing shopping yet but I'm trying to spend $400 per kid, including 2 pairs of shoes each and all new undies. I'll be driving around like a maniac again looking for the best deals and will probably do some outlet shopping.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 9:20 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

This is a joke right? what 8 year old needs a prada bag? Shit, what 8 year old even knows what a prada bag is?
    Anonymous

__

__
    WHAT KIND OF MOTHER WOULD CALL SOMEONE ELSES CHILDREN SPOILED BRATS THAT WAS VERY RUDE...MAYBE SHE JUST LOVES HER KIDS ENOUGH TO GIVE THEM THE BEST AND IF THEY CAN AFFORD IT WHATS IT YOUR BUSINESS HOW MUCH MONEY SHE SPENDS. GROW UP AND STOP BEING A JEALOUS HATEFUL BITCH!

OP: IVE SPENT CLOSE TO 75 ON ONE KID. STILL GOT JUST A LITTLE BIT LEFT.
    Anonymous

• $48.00 for supplies that I was able to pre-order through the school. His book bag and lunch box are still good from last year. He school uniforms are still good and he still fits them. Just have to buy new shoes.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2009