I told my daughter she could have a glass of wine on her 16th birthday this year (New Years Eve). Can anyone recommend a light, sweet wine that would taste ok?

I don't drink so I have no clue. She will be celebrating at home with me as we do every year.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I dont know...don't give her wine though. That is illegal.
    Anonymous

• Stella Rosa ...so yummy! but if you don't want her to pick up the habit early maybe you should stick to a regular merlot.
    LJSMOM31

Answer by LJSMOM31 at 9:36 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• When I was 16 we drank boones(sp?) That stuff is cheap and got us buzzed quick.

Are you seriously going to get her alcohol? I know of families who drink wine with dinner and serve it to their children when they are ten, but it's tradition. It sounds like you're just letting her get a taste for the stuff. I wouldn't do that. Futhermore, she is going to probably brag to her friends at school and you're going to be known as "that mom"
    Anonymous

• It's OK to give her a bit of wine, good grief. She is in her own home with HER mother.

Anonymous

• It's FINE I was slipping booze out of my parents liquer cabinet when I was in 8th grade and they never let me taste the stuff. A taste is fine. I personally favored Santa Christina at that age, but I will take a Yellowtail or Nissley (PA) anyday.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 9:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I used to drink alot of wine - till I found out I'm allergic. I always drank the white and light stuff. It was like $7 a bottle, but I can't remember the brand. You should be able to ask someone at the liquor store...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Then again..if you never want her to drink again, pick up some old crow and tell her it's wine. Though that wouldn't be nice. Don't do it. But it's an interesting thought....
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 9:42 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• A good light and slightly sweet wine would be a German Riesling, or a little less expensive one that may be a restaurant house white wine would be Taylor's Lake Country Gold, and for a sparkling wine like Champaign would be an Italian Asti Spumanti, also a white wine.

Heather801

Answer by Heather801 at 9:43 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• OP here- yes, I'm just letting her have one glass so she can see if she likes it. We're not trying to get her buzzed by any means. I know several families that allow a glass of wine with dinner (16 and 17 year olds). I don't drink myself (don't like the taste) but a glass on New Years Eve is harmless enough I think. I won't be known as "that mother" because I've set boundaries my daughter respects. She asked me, I said yes.
    Anonymous

• Italian Asti Spumanti, my recommendation as well.
    Anonymous