What meds work best??

Im on Lexipro for the last 4 wks for post pardum depression. No change at all in moods. Im ticked because its also making me gain weight on top of all the baby fat!! All I do is cry & I cant stand my husband or deal with people. What meds would you mom's suggest from your own experience with PPD? I see my dr on Monday and want to switch meds asap!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Health

• Have you tried Zoloft? Ask your Dr.
    Anonymous

• I would ask for Prozac. It doesn't have to build up in your system like Lexapro does, so you should get an effect faster and know if it is helping sooner.
    honeyb3

Answer by honeyb3 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I had zoloft after my 1st was born and it put me to sleep and I couldnt drive since I was zoned out so I dont want to try that again. I was thinkin about Prozac or welbuterin(sp)
    Anonymous

• Antidepressants aren't contraindicated for breastfeeding according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. There are only a few drugs that are. So that's not a concern. From what I've read Zoloft and Paxil are used a lot.

There are two websites where you can find more info - kellymom.com and the if you go to the postpartum area of the discussion board of mothering.com
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 9:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Taking medication for depression without therapy is like treating a broken leg with pain killers without putting the leg in a cast.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:03 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• FYI I am in therapy once a week. I was asking a medicine question so i did not feel the need to add that. Ask if Im in therapy...dont assume Im not
    Anonymous

• I stopped breastfeeding because of the meds by the recommendation of the dr so that is not a concern anymore
    Anonymous