do you prefer purebred pets, or mixes?

katiemum

Asked by katiemum at 9:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have 2 pure breed dogs (Black Lab and Yorkshire Terrier) and 2 mixed breed dogs (Boxer/? mix and a Beagle/Bassett mix) and all that I cared was that they needed homes. Two were shelter rescues and 2 were adopted because their previous owners couldn't care for them. We are currently looking for a 5th dog and he or she will be a shelter rescue.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 1:58 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I like rescue pets. My cat was a stray and we got her from the shelter - she is an absolute doll and our dog was abandoned, found with a collar and leash (but no tags), we took three weeks calling shelters and police depts but no one ever claimed her. She is the sweetest, cutest girl ever!
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 9:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• mixes, they are smarter, i think cuter, etc... i feel bad about some purebreds, my son is 3, loves any pet shop though i believe in adopting dogs, and i overhead how they artificially inseminate some dogs to be sure of breed and then do c sections to be sure all the puppies make it, doesnt seem right with dogs being put down for being homeless! any puppy is cute but you can feel really good about getting a shelter dog.

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• mixes tend to be in better health so i like my mixes unless i plan on breeding for therpy animals
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 10:23 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• We have had both. All of our cats are rescue, either from the shelter or strays and our dog is a shelter dog. Our dog is 11 and still runs around and aside from the white on her muzzle you wouldn't guess her age. We had a dog that was a pure bred that the kids let get out and he got hit by a car. Dh really loves rat terriers so we are going to be getting another one soon.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Mixes: They have less genetic problems, allergies and stomach issues. They are generally more healthy. A lot of people buy purebreds and don't realize they are coming from inbred farms or backyard breeders who are not breeding to improve the breed, but simply for the money. So they often don't get the animal they were looking for, pay way too much, and still have an animal with behavioral or health issues. Why not just roll the dice and get a mixed breed from your local shelter anyways?
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 10:30 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• it doesn't matter I just love animals.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 10:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Purebred. I like to have an idea what I'm getting.

Before anyone attacks, I have a purebred golden retriever who we adopted from the SPCA a year ago.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:43 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I like mutts, never had anything else. I love my dachshound/something i have now.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 12:44 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I love all dogs, honestly. They are one of my very favorite things in the entire world. I have a purebred Shih Tzu, and she is pretty freakin' adorable! I really like Shih Tzu's, but it doesn't really matter all that much to me. :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 2:03 AM on Jul. 22, 2009