Is ths normal for a 5 yr old boy?

my son will be 5 tomorrow and i was wondering if this is normal.. he runs around all day makeing noises like car crashes, shooting guns, blowing stuff up, and train noises.. and when i say all day i mean all day riding in the car, siting in his room, playing outside, and going to bed.. even at the dinner table. When i tell him to stop he'll stop but stand there like okay what to do now but then continues to make noises and running about.

he'll start from one corner of my house and run to a different corner then run back to the same corner makeing noises this can go on for hours. plus he says wierd things like everything he says he very imaginative he doesn't caryy on a conversation with people.

also he touches himself like he needs to go pee but when i ask him he either say he has already went or he doesn't need to go.. it is starting to get evry embarressing lol..

i like to add he does have speech delay.

Navywife85

Asked by Navywife85 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• he's playing and yes it's normal, my son goes around making sounds...it's a boy thang...but the speech delay, I'd ask your doctor on what to do about that...sorry
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 9:55 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My DD is the same way, its possible he has other delays too. My daughter has language processing delays. So she seems a lot younger than 10 and its hard to not "squash' her creativity a lot of the time. There are many delays that can go along with a speech delay. Talk to your Dr or your Speech Therapist about having him tested more extensively. Especially at his age, it gets difficult with the demands of school. Hugs! Cause I know how hard it is.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 9:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• uggggg! guns and grabbing yourself! when you learn how to stop them let me know then maybe i can stop my kids and hubby! lol
    klpeter

Answer by klpeter at 9:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• lol im with klpeter
    but seriously ask the dr for evals, if nothing wrong, he is jsut playing, be happy its only annoying and not distructive
    lmao
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• lmao thanks for the answers.. i'll share any info if i find away to stop the touching teehee ; )...
    Navywife85

Answer by Navywife85 at 10:05 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Have him evaluated for PDD, (pervasive developmental disorder) sounds like he may have a sensory processing disorder (if he is not just being a kid). My son was doing that all day too, I thought he was only ADHD, but that with the socialization issues and not communicating effectively led me to believe there may be something more...i took him in for an evaluation and the doctor told me he was PDD, which is like a very mild autism. google pdd and check for the symptoms, and you should have a good idea if you should have him evaluated for this or not. Some kids just love to run around and play crash, but from what you are saying he could be pdd. My son also is in speech therapy for a delay. I creid for weeks when i found out he was PDD but now Im just happy he is getting the care he needs, hes doing great now!
    Anonymous

• Has he started Kindergarten yet? Just wondering if he does this during school, because I'm sure the teacher would let you know, or want to have him evaluated by speech therapist. My son would act like that at home, but during kindergarten he was an angel...lol. Even helps clean up the classroom, but won't clean his room?? LOL!!
    My son was born a very micro preemie, so he had some speech delays too. Had speech for about 2 years, but no longer needs it, unless I think he does.
    mylove4logan

Answer by mylove4logan at 9:34 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• TOTALLY NORMAL! I have two sons and in fact this sounds like a good thing since you mentioned a speech delay. Sounds like he's working through it. My boys (same age) are doing the pee-touching and that's normal for this age, too. He's fine - sounds like a typical, high-spirited, energetic child!
    Anonymous

• i checked for some of the symptoms of pdd and no i don't think he has that. no he hasn't started kindergarten yet but when he was in prek his teacher kept on haveing problems with him staying on his cott and being quiet he would be fine for the first 5 minutes then after that he would start to get bored. karate has become and issue cause he is supposed to eb able to wait his turn and he gets bored standing in line so he starts to go off in his own lttle world. his doc says he is just an active child but if he doesn't start settleing down and becomes an issue in school or his work then we can think of testing him but i don't want to test him till he is at least 7 or 8 . to me he is normal cause this is just what i am used to.

lmao i just usually make him take the loud annoying running and noises to his room if he feels like he has to get it all out or i take him for a run. or walk.

thanks everyone for all the info.
    Navywife85

Answer by Navywife85 at 4:44 PM on Jul. 24, 2009