Do you (as a Christian) believe that it's not enough to believe, but that you have to ask Jesus to be your savior?

I admit this is a rhetorical question. My bil passed away Sunday morning and right at the moment of death, he raised both his arms the way a baby would for his mom or dad to pick him up, then he smiled and just slipped away. The heart and lung lines went flat simultaneously, which the nurse said was highly unusual.

I know he never 'asked' to be saved, but he knew that as a human, he needed a savior to redeem him and that Jesus Christ, the son of God was that redeemer.

So, without the sinner's prayer, do you think he was still saved? If not, what was the vision he saw and reacted to all about? He was unconscious until that moment. I know he never 'accepted Jesus' but was a loving and giving man who was born a jew and came to joyous knowledge of the Lord as an adult. So many say that you have to accept Christ. How does this mesh?

callmeann

Asked by callmeann at 9:53 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm very sorry to hear about your BIL. I hope that you and your family are able to find closure and peace.
    I believe that everyone feels the Spirit in his or her own way. Do I believe every Christian must publicly or outwardly say one thing or the other to show their devotion? No. It is my opinion that our religous views are within our hearts, and that's just where those views and beliefs should be. If we feel something in our heart, then it IS, no matter what someone says about "true" faith.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 9:56 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Who's to say he did not have it in his heart? That is the impression I get anyway.Esp if he was unable to speak.I fully believe in death bed salvation.Yes I believe one must have Christ.Like I said I bet he had it in his heart :)

I am so sorry for your loss.I am sure he will be greatly missed.
    Anonymous

• I never said the sinners prayer... I did believe in my heart and confess with my mouth that Jesus is Lord.
    There is no sinners prayer in the bible. It just says confess, believe, ask for forgiveness and repent.
    Now what you described about your BIL , who knows what happened right then in his heart... Only God knows. If he smiled then it it most likely he saw Jesus. I have a friend who is a hospital chaplain and she can tell the difference when someone is with Jesus or not by the look on their faces. It is interesting to say the least. Just beleive the best!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:08 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I'm sorry about your BIL.

I've never prayed the sinner's prayer. It is your faith that makes you whole.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 10:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I do not believe prayign a specific prayer is necassary. I see what you mean. Cause Jesus said believe in me. But even Satan believes, he's still gonna burn. But it's also how we live our lives. Not that we can work our ways into heaven, but if we want to live for God it shows. As far as asking I do not know, sorry...
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 10:37 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• No one really knows. The bible is an ancient document... is it truth, or ancient mythology? (ie., Tower of Babel, Jonah in belly of whale, etc). People will SAY that they know, but really they don't - and can't - until they are dead. The sad thing is, if you guess wrong, you fry. If there is no god, then it doesn't matter. Just enjoy being alive, love your families, and then punch out when the time comes.
    krnrobey803

Answer by krnrobey803 at 10:52 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I was careful to say that this is a rhetorical question. I see so many posts that tell others, sometimes non-Christians, that they must 'accept Jesus' and I don't like to see that. Alan never once said "Please Jesus, be my savior". He just knew that Jesus WAS his savior without his asking. He was a very exemplary Christian and his death experience showed it. I was asking those who believe that you must actively ask to be saved for it to happen.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 11:02 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• oh ok my apologies callmeann.
    I think you must do what the bible says and that is believe and confess it also says repent and forgive. Bu do I believe you have to go through a sinner's prayer. no otherwise Im in trouble :) God looks at the heart and if you lived a life for Him.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:18 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• First Jesus died for all of are sins and all he ask is for us to say this Romans 10:9,10 "...If you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, you shall be saved; for with the heart man believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation." and we will be saved that's all you have to do to be saved also being saved alone does not make you safe to enter heaven... This bible says in John 3:5 5Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. So you have to do these things to enter into the Kingdom of God... :) Hope this helped

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:28 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• This is something I speak about very rarely, but I'm compelled to say so here. Someone close to me was gay. He was rejected by most of his family and even his church. Because of that, he was angry with God and stopped having a relationship with him. On his death bed, after days of not speaking, he said, "Do you hear that? Do you hear that?" Everyone thought he was just hallucinating, but then he said, "The trumpets, can you hear them? It's so beautiful." And that was said with his dying breath. That man, who was cast from his church and who in turn rejected God, is in Heaven. No one can tell me otherwise. So, I hope this helps put you at ease. God knows us. =)

*I ask that anyone who disagrees, just this once, please hold your tongue in regards to what I've written. Thank you.*

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 2:02 AM on Jul. 22, 2009