What does it mean when your hCG levels are really low in blood test?

I went to the drs and they gave me a pregnancy test and it was negative. I had taken two test at home and they were positive. So they dr got the lab to take some blood. After leaving the dr.s office I went stright to the drug store and bought two more tests and they both said, "pregnant". I was so confused. Well, the dr called me today and she said that the blood work shows that I am pregnant but that the hCG levels were really low. She stressed 'low' to me. Should I be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Your probably really early in your pregnancy. Their pg tests may not be as sensitive as the ones you took. I guess there is a chance it could be an early miscarriage too. Try to think positive. Your Dr. will probably schedule another blood test to see if the numbers are going up.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 10:14 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I had that happen to me. I was really early in the pregnancy, and my doc said the blood test came up negative, while both my home tests said pregnant. He said that I had a low amount of HCG but not enough to indicate a pregnancy. I waited two weeks then went to another doctor. Their test came up pos. and I was so relieved! The nurse there told me that the blood tests are often not very accurate early in, and that the home tests are actually more accurate! A low amount of HCG will not indicate an early miscarriage as far as I know; only if the HCG is not doubling is there a problem so I wouldn't stress too much yet! Good luck and congratz!
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 10:19 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• they should do an ultrasound to make sure there is a fetus in there or not. when i had a miscarriage, that is what happened to me. we were trying to get pregnant. so 2 tests at home said yes, a test at fam planning said no, my fam dr sent me for blood work, which was yes .... then that night i started to bleed more than ever before .... so they did an ultrasound to know for sure. but your hcg levels have to be at a certain number, i think, to be pregnant then they double every day, or every couple days.....
    hope that makes sense
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:34 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• when I had really low hcg levels I had an ectopic pregnancy. GL
    Anonymous

• It could mean the beginning of a miscarriage, or a really early pregnancy, or just low levels. I found out at 7 weeks and after my initial blood tests the doctor called and said my levels were low and that I needed to have an ultrasound done asap to make sure the pregnancy was viable. It was and now my baby is almost a year old!
    Anonymous