Carseat question!

My daughter turned 5 this past May and was in a booster seat for a while. My husband and I traded out the one car seat. Well, while in his truck it ended up getting stolen. So for the past few days she has been without a booster. She will NOT buckle up, in fact it was really tough keeping her buckled in her booster. I am going tomorrow to get her a new car seat. Do you think she is too old for a bigger car seat with the 5-point harness? She actually says she wants one, but I am looking for her safety. I think it would be safer. But is it silly or odd to put her back into a "baby" car seat?

IWantLotsOfKids

Asked by IWantLotsOfKids at 10:15 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• If it fits her and she'll stay belted in, i say go for it. Look at what the weight limit is on the seat and go from there! I think a lot of the 5 point harness ones go up to 100 lbs, so she might be just fine for one. (I honestly have no clue how much an average 5 year old weighs!)
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 10:26 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• If she can't stay buckled definetly put her in a 5 point.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 10:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Well you need to look at your state laws and see if she still even requires a booster seat. I know here in UT that you have to have one until there 8 or a certain height or weight. But maybe she needs a 5 point harness for her saftey. I know my DS car seat is a infant, toddler and booster seat in one its pretty big and nice.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 10:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My daughter just turned 5 yesterday she is in a booster... it goes by weight and height and car type for the safest way to travel.. in NYS it is minimum requirement as follows car seat read face until 21 pounds or 12 months then car seat to 40 pounds and booster to 49 inches tall (mine is 42 inches) those are State minimums here... and as for the will not put her seat belt on...then the car does not move... I love my kids and we have lots of fun I'm pretty liberal but at the end of the discussion they know who's boss... and there are consequences for making me late
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:29 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• One of the criteria for putting them in a booster is being mature enough to stay safely buckled in. I think you are making a great choice! And since she's asking for it, go for it quick.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:34 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• The Britax Regent and the Sunshine Kids Radian 80 both harness to 80 pounds, and are just harness seats. The Britax Frontier is a combination booster that harnesses to 80, then becomes a booster up to around 100 pounds. All are great harness seats for bigger/older kids!!
    MelanieLouise

Answer by MelanieLouise at 10:44 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• No seat harnesses to 100lbs, 80lbs is the highest any seat will go. Yes, Your 5 year old should still be in a harness. My very big for her age 5 year old is still in a harness. She has the Graco Nautilus, we paid $150 for it. It harnesses to 65lbs, and she is only 45lbs, so we still have another 20lbs to go in the harness.Lots of children are killed from riding in a booster. The seat belt usually doesnt hit right, or they arent mature enough to sit right. I would put her in a 5pt if I were you.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 9:07 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My 4y DS is still is a 5pt harness ( he is big for his age 42in and 40lbs), We own both the britax frontier and regents for him( both are 5pt harness till 80lbs)... although I prefer the frontier 1) because it turns into a booster till 100lbs and 2) the true side impact protection 3) you can adjust the strap both length and height with the child in the seat ensuring a perfect fit every ride ( the regents has to be re-threaded. I strongly advise that you take this option- it it alot safer, especially for a child who doesn't sit in a booster properly ( and Ive been told by a few parents that their children prefer the 5pt seat to a booster- so assume its also more comfy for the kiddos =)) and I doubt she'll mind the "baby seat" if she says she wants the 5pt.

RippledBegonias

Answer by RippledBegonias at 5:43 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Well, for starters, it is not a "baby" car seat. It is a big kid car seat. Rear facing infant carriers are for infants, to keep them safe. Those are "baby," seats. Convertible seats that rear face and then forward face are for keeping older infants and toddlers safe. Front facing only car seats are for big kids, to keep them safe. Something like the Graco Nautilus which will harness to 65lbs then booster to 100 would be a good idea for her, especially if she WANTS to be in a harness.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 7:01 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My 5 yr old is harnessed in a Graco Nautilus as well. Actually Target has some on clerance right now. I would definiatly put her back in the harness. SHe will be so much safer in it.
    rina16

Answer by rina16 at 12:12 AM on Jul. 23, 2009