Do you think it would be appropriate to give a lot of gifts at a baby shower?

My nephews wife is having a baby shower. I am very excited for this new bundle of joy. I bought about 15 outfits for her. She is having a baby shower this weekend and I kind of feel like that is a huge amount to give at a baby shower. How would you feel if a guest came with a lot of gifts?

cherrera5

Asked by cherrera5 at 10:25 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in About CafeMom

• It's a shower, you love your nephew....take the gifts!!!! If you really feel uncomfortable, hold back a few to take when you go see the baby for the first time.

Have fun and enjoy the new baby.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:27 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Well, my MIL came loaded with gifts that put everyone else to shame, but everyone else took it all in good nature, understanding that she was just excited for her first grandbaby.

Now, in your case, if you feel like it would be more than others would be giving, perhaps give her some of the best items now and the rest after the shower.

But really, who cares? You are all there to buy her and the baby things!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:29 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• If you're having second thoughts, split up the gifts: Bring 5 to the shower, 5 to the hospital, and 5 when the baby comes home. If not, it's ALL LOVE!
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 10:30 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My one aunt, who was never able to have a baby, started shopping when I found out I was pregnant. So needless to say by the shower I had this HUGE bag of things from her. Take it, good for you!!! Or if you feel more comfortable, and see them often, give them some of it closer to the baby's arrival. Because it sounds like you will get more for the arrival anyways LOL
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:31 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Being that I'm a 1st timer, I was lovin everything I got at the baby shower since I didnt have any idea what was to come lol. But that sounds so nice! if you think you got too much, but really want to stick with the layette, you could get creative and roll them up, put them it a pretty basket along with some fancy cloth hangers...
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:39 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Hey, if it were *ME* having the baby, I would be THRILLED to get that many gifts at one time! Beyond thrilled! Aw, I remember my baby shower like it was yesterday. My dad got me a travel system, it was so awesome. I still have the cheesy pictures of me holding up all the gifts I got. I probably used half of them LOL. But clothes are always needed in the end, so good on you for getting something useful :D
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I would be very appreciative. The more gifts the better. That takes away from the stress of getting thing that you don't have.
    mamofive

Answer by mamofive at 10:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• id feel great ful!!
    maybe put them all on a clothes line in a gift bag that she can pull out for display
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Congratulations on your extended family's baby!!!! You can certainly give as much money or number of gifts that you want especially considering the importance of this new life! Some guests at showers are on more limited funds some are on time out with sitters that can't stay more than three or four hous sometimes. Maybe you could for those reasons and that you'll have chances to see the new family alot considering your closeness to the new Grandma, could divide up your gifts - even some at the shower, in the hospital, home from hospital and oh at two week age of baby. New moms just love to show off babies and talk baby shop. Whatever you do you'll have fun with your new niece or nephew. Enjoy!!!!
    Anonymous

• I just had my baby shower and this baby will be the first grandchild on both sides so everyone went a little crazy on gifts. My older sister especially, bought almost half the items on one of my registries! I felt really special and was happy that everyone is so excited for my son to get here! I think there's nothing wrong with buying a lot of gifts. If you can afford them and don't mind how much you spend than why feel weird about it?
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:23 PM on Jul. 21, 2009