• In the Spotlight:

Do you ever SHOP at Goodwill or the Salvation Army store?

(Funny that I'm not religious and I was shopping there yesterday, pufahahaha.)

Anyway. I'm always scared people are going to look at me funny if I shop in second-hand stores. Is it just me? I'm young and I have a child. I can't afford to shop in expensive mall outlets.

Plus those secondhand stores usually have awesome little decorative trinkets for like 25 cents :D

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 10:37 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• A friend and I go to Goodwill about every other Thursday and hunt for deals. We find great kids clothes and lots of books.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:40 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• YES!!! I'm addicted to a bargain!! I have found GREAT stuff over the years!!
    scout575

Answer by scout575 at 10:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• All of my kids clothes came from thrift shops or yard sales. They had lots of designer clothes. We would buy new underware, socks, shoes, and usually winter coats. All my grandbaby's things have come from yard sales.

I love it when I can find Gloria Vanderbuilt jeans at thrift stores.

There is no reason to feel ashamed.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 10:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I'm getting ready to student teach next spring, and this past spring I had my methods teaching (pre-student teaching). I bought my entire professional wardrobe at goodwill. All my shirts and pants were like 3 dollars, and I received compliments all semester while teaching on how professional I dressed. My cooperating teacher was shocked when I said I had bought a particular shirt at goodwill for 2.50, and was extremely jealous lol... I love second hand stores if you actually take the time to sort through the clothes you can find very nice things!
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Yes I do. I have a lot of kids and it doesn't make sense to buy expensive clothes that they are just going to ruin or grow out of. So I do. There is no shame in it.
    mamofive

Answer by mamofive at 10:42 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I have shopped there. Think about it like this.... if you are buying clothes for your little one there you are actually making the most adult choice by spending less money on clothes that your child is going to outgrow quick and saving that money to better take care of your child. Its not a bad thing your just being a good parent! :) Best wishes for you and your child!!!
    rlapierre03

Answer by rlapierre03 at 10:43 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I love that store! I always find great stuff. I'm not religious either, but never found it to be a "religious" store.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 10:44 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• My mother worked at the City Mission thrift store, the Salvation Army and the Goodwill at different times through the years, and I LOVED to go there to get clothes for my kids. Since she was the clothes sorter, she would save the good stuff for me and I'd go on dollar bag days when I could all the clothes they could shove in one bag for a buck. She doesn't work there any more, but I'm still an avid shopper- especially for summer clothing and back to school.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• yup
    here we have a rockin thrif store that is huge that i go to regularly
    i also go to a kids consighnment store
    i love them!
    i got my son a redskins jersey for $3!
    and new looking nikes for $5
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:46 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• I do, and I am proud! When someone compliments me on my clothes, I make it a point to let them know I only paid 'x' amount for them. I try to encourage people to visit the same shops that I do...there are some nice ones out there that are set up like department stores!!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2009