my baby seems really stiff all the time.

My baby is 6months old and is always straight leged. when i try to hold him he wont bend and he always prefers to stand instead of sit. is that normal?

vikkimeadows44

Asked by vikkimeadows44 at 10:58 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe not. He may need physical therapy. One of my sons didn't bend right and need to have therapy to learn to crawl.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 11:02 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• When holding him, if he goes stiff legged, it may be because he doesn't want to be cuddled. Preferring to stand instead of sitting may just be that he is energetic and proud of his ability. Those two symptoms alone don't seem concerning, as long as he does exhibit full range of motion in his joints. Lay him on his back and holding his shins, gently try to rotate his hip joints and flex his knees. If he seems limited or in pain, I would definitely consult your pediatrician.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 11:05 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• That can be a sign of constapation, is he having regular BM.
    Anonymous

• do baby massages
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 12:04 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• was he born early at all? my little brother was a premie and has mild cerebal paulsy and doesnt have the bending abilitiy that other kids have. If he's moving around, cruzing furniature I wouldnt worry...he might just not like to sit and would rather stand.
    szeimetz

Answer by szeimetz at 3:03 PM on Jul. 22, 2009