i have an 11yr son who has major additude and a mouth to boot is it the age ?

karebear092579

Asked by karebear092579 at 11:02 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Can you remember when you were 11, back when I was I was attitude big time. I was always grounded. Now having kids my heart goes out to my parents. I think every age is major attitude age. If you don't like the attitude then tell him by giving more responsibility and less fun. I found without those two things together nothing is remembered or learned.
    Anonymous

• my step son is the same way its funny actually bc he acts just like my husband with some kids its a phase just wait till he really gets into girls ull really have your hands full i know my husband and i do.
    scholtzmma

Answer by scholtzmma at 11:17 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Yeah, I think it's the age...and being a boy doesn't help. I remember the year my son was 11...he grew 7 inches that year...& it seems the taller he got...the lower MY IQ went down..at least in his eyes. But they mostly grow out of it, he's 24 now....when he went off to the navy and come home after boot camp he told me " you know mom...you aren't as dumb as I always thought you were " (then quickly said) " oh? that didn't sound good..did it?' I told him ' no hon...that sounded just fine ' just the fact that he realized he might have hurt my feelings and it bothered him...proved to me he was no longer the little smart mouth boy I use to know.
    Actually when I was living my now DH, and son came to visit...he told his new dad that he'd been worried about me...after meeting 'dad', he knew he didn't have to. He even calls me sometimes, just to chat.
    So don't worry...things will work out.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 11:51 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Does he hear that kind of mouth from anyone else or is he just pushing the limits? I have an 11 year old and he can get mouthy once in a while, but nothing really extreme. He knows the punishment for it. Bad attitude = loss of fun unless there is a legitimate reason for the attitude (and there's usually not...). Don't put up with the mouth unless you want him to start treating other women like that.
    paralegal09

Answer by paralegal09 at 5:35 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Phase or no phase, it should be communicated that it is not okay to speak to you in a disrespectful tone! Give consequences for it......find the button to push that works.....everyone has one.
    momof2wneeds

Answer by momof2wneeds at 6:15 PM on Jul. 22, 2009

• thanks guys he seems to be doing better with the additude and the mouth...he really dont have it so much toward me as he does with the other kids
    karebear092579

Answer by karebear092579 at 8:55 PM on Jul. 22, 2009