Are these good reasons to homeschool? She is so excited!!

These are my reasons:

I haven't really had a chance to REALLY bond with her. She was #3 in 4 years and by the time she was born I was exhausted. I didn't give it all I had like I did with the rest. Not to mention she is now #3 out of 5 kids. She is the middle child. Not the baby, but not yet old enough to do anything. So I figure this will give me a chance to spend time with her, give her a little more responsibility, help her build her self-esteem and self-worth, and really listen to what she has to say.

I can help her catch up with her reading and math. I can offer her alot of 1 on 1, between dh sometimes being home during the week, and the 2 lil ones taking 4 hour naps between 10:30 and 2:30, I think I can do it.

A friend is going to start homeschooling her daughter, so we can meet up.

Now, since I won't be spending any gas money taking her to and from school, she will be able to take dancing lessons

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 PM on Jul. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• We homeschool also, and just for those reasons. I want my kids to be MY kids. I want to spend time with them and get to know them. They can learn anything, anytime, anywhere. They only get to be with me for a short while. (I have been very ill over the years and this was only part of my decision.)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:41 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• She is 8 years old, and so very excited. Her older siblings want to continue going to public school. I just hope I am not doing this for selfish reasons (because I want to spend time with her, and make up for what I have never really been able to do).
    Anonymous

• I think homeschooling is great...and I think your reasons are excellent ones....especially if your daughter is excited about it. Just make sure she still gets social interaction outside of the home, that's the most important thing, I think, when homeschooling.
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 11:32 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• What else between meeting up with my friend and her daughter and dance lessons do you think I can do?
    Anonymous

• Sometimes cities have organized homeschool groups that get together at times during the month for different types of field trips, which is really cool. Having another friend you see regularly is a great thing, and so are dance lessons. Make other friends. Do you have a local community center that offers any programs for kids? Just find ways to meet up with other people so she gets the same types of social interactions that she would be getting at a public school.
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 11:43 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• Check for local home school groups. Some of the Y's offer home school programs. I am homeschooling ds for kindergarten and first grade. He's going to continue swim lessons and karate. We are going to look for a group in our area for get togethers and stuff.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 11:48 PM on Jul. 21, 2009

• SusieD250, I feel like that too. I kinda feel the same as when I chose to breastfeed. I am choosing to give her ME.
    Anonymous

• music lessons, museums, community theater, girl scouts or campfire, visiting sick kids at the hospital or the elderly in nursing homes, gardening, learning typing, foreign languages, art classes . . . the possibilities are endless!
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:45 AM on Jul. 22, 2009