Giving your teenager alcohol??

This stems off a question asking what type of wine is good to give to my 16 yr old or some stupid crap like that. I was appalled at how many Mom's were recommending different kinds of wine. What the heck is wrong with people. And I know I'm going to hear get off your high horse and you think you're perfect blah, blah, blah but when it comes to my children you better believe I take being a Mother seriously. And the Mom who posted the question said she didn't even drink and that's why she was asking what a good kind would be. You don't drink but you'll let you 16 yr old. I just pray my children never come in contact with their children. So what's your thought. Would you let your teenager consume alcohol in the presence of your home? And I might regret posting my profile but that's how strongly I feel so I really don't care.

mommymine3

Asked by mommymine3 at 12:26 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• I will not. My parents did not. My inlaws did not.

It is illegal and I will not encourage my children to break the law.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:35 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Well, let's consider this. Medicine has discovered that there are benifits to drinking wine. There are benefits to almost everything in MODERATION. A lot of us think it is better for our kids to experience things at home rather then out on the street. I would much rather my kid decide he doesn't like wine at home then when pressured by other kids to drink.
    How old are your kids?
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:29 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I don't know what I would do. There are pros and cons to both sides.
    If she has a small drink at home, it may (MAY) demystify it and keep her from chugging it with friends.
    OR
    It may spike her interest and cause her to seek it out with friends.

I truly don't know what I will do when and if the issue arises in my home.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:31 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Really?? Not how I feel at all. But that's the beauty of different opinions.

And my little ones are 8, 5 and 13 months.
    mommymine3

Answer by mommymine3 at 12:31 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• I just think it's so unnecessary.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• A 16 a glass of wine? Yes I would do it, Would I serve hard liquor and get them drunk no. There is a major difference. I understand where you are coming from though.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 12:34 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Its legal to give your child alcohol in your own home. The reason for this, is due to different cultural and religious celebrations and the freedom that the US provides to those basic rights. It is illegal to give anyone else's child alcohol. She's not out of line at all. My dad gave me a sip of homemade wine when I as 14, it was awful. My parents never made a big taboo about me drinking and as a result, I very rarely have any alcohol. Literally, it takes me two hours to sip a wine cooler and I do that maybe once or twice a year. I've only been tipsy once with my DH at home, and was terrified of the experience. But it does depend on the child, because my sister did drink a lot in her 20's, but then dad didn't offer her wine at 14. LOL
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 12:34 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My mom let me have a glass of Arbor Mist for the 2000 new year....millenieum and all. I was 13. I took one sip and spit it out in the yard and gave her back the glass. It was nasty. And even now at 23, there are only a few drinks I can tolerate.

I dont see it as such a bad thing. One little glass isn't cause for an uproar. At 16 some kids are getting drunk and getting pregnant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Its legal to give your child alcohol in your own home.

Oh really I would like to know where you got that info from?!?!?! You giving your child alcohol is telling them that it's OKAY. And your starting bad habits early.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• BTW Lesli, it is only legal in certain states. In Michigan it is not legal except for "specified religious, educational, or medical purposes."
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:41 AM on Jul. 22, 2009