How can I explain to my soon to be 7 year old how babies are concieved and delivered?

My husband and I have been thinking about having another baby, and Izabella (my soon to 7 year old) has had soooo many questions that I have been trying to avoid. Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Jul. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• just wondering why is your 7 year old so curious about conception and del at the same time you and hubby talking about it. Usually it doesn't with young kids til it's announced baby on the way, not before conception.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Don't avoid the questions, answer them as truthfully and tactfully as possible. She doesn't need the graphic details about how baby got where it is, just that mommy and daddy go to bed and if they are lucky they make a baby. honesty about where they come out is better coming from you with facts rather than friends with graphics.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 1:02 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Just ask her what she wants to know and answer her questions honestly and without much fanfare. :) Don't go into details.
    I started talking honestly with my daughter about sex and childbirth, menstruation early because it is important our girls know thier bodies well. And what to do and not do with them. My sons, they simply were not interested until 10 or so. They asked I told.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:03 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Answer the question they ask. Often parents read morte in to the questions. If a child asks "where do babies come from?" and you reply Mommys tummy and they ask no more questions that is the end of the discussion. Let the cjhild guide..answer the questions..but only what thewy ask.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:03 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• My husbands cousin is pregnant and my niece just had a baby. Her question is always "how does the baby get in you belly and how does it come out...does it come out of your belly button?
    mommykatie73

Answer by mommykatie73 at 1:05 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• When that time comes (Lord, let it be many, many years from 7! heehee) I would probably say, "when two people love each other very very much, they get married and b/c they love each other so much, the mommy grows a baby in her tummy". I hope that works for my little girl, at least until she's old enough to know the details! Good luck to all of us when that time comes!
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:21 AM on Jul. 22, 2009

• Babies are a blessing and miracle from God. Keep it short and simple. Just because a child can ask a question doesn't mean they can fully process a detailed scientific answer, and sometimes relaying details years before they are necessary can yield disasterous results. The more specific you try to become, the more questions you open yourself up to, and you could find yourself telling them alot more than you ever intended.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for all your help!!!
    mommykatie73

Answer by mommykatie73 at 8:37 PM on Jul. 22, 2009